Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

How reliable and good are the 1988 4.5 V8 copue devilles?

• Extremely

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Somewhat

• Not at all

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always wanted a cadillac, but I have never been fortunate enough to own one, although I have had the wonder opportunity to drive one. I now have the chance to own one of my own. It is a 1988 coupe deville. Very nice inside and out. It seems to run really well, the only thing is I don't know anything about that year and model. It has the 4.5 liter V8. It is white with beautiful blue leather interior, it is an awsome looking car. If anyone has had or has one or knows anything about this particular year and model, please let me know something. I want to be a CADILLAC OWNER. I would really appreciate your info and help. My e-mail address is [email protected] Thanks

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
I do NOT have a CDV. However my 89 STS is a 4.5 and has been nothing but reliable. Over all it's a great car but the drive-train has been bulletproof for me. Aside from the intake gasket leaking at 216k miles I have no complaints. I've owned the car for 13 years now. I bought the car with 70k on it.

I hope that helps.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,005 Posts
My dad had an '89 (4.5) and sold it to my neighbor when he had to quit driving. My neighbor had 160K on it when it got totaled by a deer and was still running strong at the time.

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
I enjoyed my 90 CDV and had relatively few problems with the 4.5 motor; I don't think there was much change between 88 and 90. The big lesson learned for me was to use new (vs. rebuilt) parts because I had problems with both the water pump and alternator. The alternator can be changed in 30 minutes but the water pump is a total PITA. The spark plugs are a 6 out of 10 on the annoying scale to change but I've done much worse. Motor mounts can be an issue as well. The computers can be a little flakey but are not hard to change; I would stock up on an ECM and a BCM from eBay or a yard if you buy it just in case. A factory service manual is a must if you want to do any of your own work and highly recommended even if you have a mechanic do it; I dropped my FSM with the car a few times and it saved me some money. The tradeoff you're going to make with this age and type of car is that they can be had relatively cheaply right now, but they take more care and feeding than an econobox. Cadillacs have always used advanced technology and design for their year, but that does produce reliability and maintenance issues down the road. This forum can save you some $$ too because there are a bunch of smart people that are willing to help and at least one person has usually had your problem. So far I've seen 95% of the problems with both my CDV and STS posted here - and I've only been here a month.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,005 Posts
Different Ranger, but
ECM = Engine Control Module, now called PCM (Powertrain Control Module)

BCM = Body Control Module

FSM = Factory Service Manual

TNX = Thanks :duck:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts