Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I took in the 03 CTS for an oil change and tire rotation yesterday. I took it to a local tire store so I knew they were going to try to upsell me everything but there were a couple things I asked them to specifically look at:

I wanted to get the rear differential looked at because I noticed it was a little greasy although not dripping.

I also wanted to get the drivers side front tire checked out because I am hearing a thumping noise and noone seems to know what it is, it isnt extremely loud but I hear it when going over bumps and was told its not the struts.

Ok so he says I need New tires to fix the thump, a transmission fluid change, a power steering change and also new struts on all 4s because it is reccomended on these cars every 50k miles....

Also the differential seals are leaking a bit and I thought this might be true...

How long to I have untill I have to fix those seals, I dont want a big repair bill so I want to prevent the rear differential from failure and Can I do this myself, what parts do I need, any tips??????????

As for the maintenace, does this sound right? struts at 50k when it doesnt feel as if i need them???

When do I nned to get power steering fluid replaced???

Trans fluid???

Any thoughts on the minor thumping sound????

Thanks guys, I know you will help and save me money....:worship:

·
Registered
06 CTS-V
2,497 Posts
just get them to check your rear diff levels, sometimes those seals leak just because of cold weather. mine is greasy from leaking, i've had them check the levels over the last three oil changes since this winter when i noticed it, so far they haven't had to top it up. i just monitor my level, or clean your diff with a degreaser and see how fast it gunks back up again. i'm pretty sure mine was due to the severe cold snap we had last winter. if your rear end squeals like a banshie its time do stop driving and get something done about it lol. you could replace the seals multiple times only to have them leak again in cold temperatures.
transfluid should look nice and pink not cloudy. they will check all that stuff at a dealership when you get your regular oil change/inspection.

·
Registered
2004 Customized black on tan 3.6L CTS
5,147 Posts
Tell guy to check differential fluid levels.

Tell guy to go F himself.

Punch guy in head.

Walk out.

In that order preferably.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,969 Posts
Who did you take it to, Al Capone's grandson? He's scamming you for every dodge in the book. Next time you go in there wear a paper bag over your head so he won't see the "pidgeon" tatooed on your forehead.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you guys saying that the differential seal leak is normal then???????????????

Also any advice on what the clinking noise may be if not struts, tires etc...?????????

·
Registered
CTS
1,756 Posts
Are you guys saying that the differential seal leak is normal then???????????????

Also any advice on what the clinking noise may be if not struts, tires etc...?????????
Could be that your suspension bushings are going.

Yep, I agree with the others, get out of that place & have it seen to by folks who know more than the guys who couldn't hack it at McDonald's.

A bit of grease on the differential housing is hardly indicative of impending failure. I'd doubt the fluid level is down at all.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,969 Posts
A good strategy for finding suspension problems is to open a door and use it for leverage to pull down on and get the car rocking. Don't overdo it and wrack the hinges but you can pull pretty hard with no damage. Listen for squeaks and clunks. let go of the door and see how quickly the car comes to a stop. It should not make more then three excursions if the struts are good.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok i DID this and heard no unusual noises or like the noise i hear when driving, this problem is driving me crazy because everything seems to be ok but the noise is there....Im thinking something needs to be greased???? any ideas...i really appreciate all of your thoughts guys...

also the differential fluid level seems to be ok but i do see the seals are leaking but not dripping just a little wet looking and greasy, what would you guys do? i think i can repalce the seals myself but dont want to get involved in it if this is normal....

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i just got an email from lindseys telling me to grease the calipers because he has seen this before....he thinks this will stop the thumping as it has worked in the past...im gonna give it a go soon and i will update you guys....

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac CTS 3.6L Black, LOADED
2,424 Posts
i just got an email from lindseys telling me to grease the calipers because he has seen this before....he thinks this will stop the thumping as it has worked in the past...im gonna give it a go soon and i will update you guys....
good luck man. i hope it works. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
217 Posts
all he said is recommended. but i would def change the tranny fluid/radiator.

shocks/coil overs are okay but it does help stop sooner. you might wanna check the differential oil level. add if needed. i used to be a mechanic and i would check all the fluids and make sure they are clean. if not then flush/bleed them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts