Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had several front wheel drive cars in my time and yet I dont know the answer to this question. What does a bad rear wheel bearing sound like in a front wheel drive car? I have a noise that I am trying to troubleshoot and its hard to pin down. The spousal unit swears its coming from the rear of the car. Its a clunk clunk clunk sound thats only there on moderate brake pressure. With no brake pressure its as quiet as can be. Its definetly linked to the speed of the wheel. The car is a 90 coupe deville with disc on the front and drums in the back. I took the drums off tonight but havent noticed anything out of the ordinary other than a small leak on a master cylinder that I didnt know I had. Any and all ideas would be appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
93 Sedan Deville 4.9
208 Posts
If Ya Only Hear It While Appling The Brakes I'd Give It A Good Brake Job With Turning Down The Rotors & New Pads . Fix The Wheel Cyl While Your At It. Check The Brakes

·
Registered
'87 SDV
1,296 Posts
You have a warped rotor on the front or a hot spot on one of your rear drums. The rotor is the most likely culprit. Under the right circumstances, it can feel like it's coming from the rear.

A bad wheel bearing gives off a crunching noise over bumps, and sometimes a grinding noise when moving, but it's constant - not reliant on brake pressure.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Without actually driving it, it's tough to troubleshoot a noise in a car but I'd say there's a good chance that it's either a drum or rotor defect or possibly a bad wheel bearing. Load on the bearing is dramatically increased during braking so I wouldn't discount the possibility of a bad bearing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts