Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2003 STS best car EVER
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hood release is not working. That could be because I took it the car wash and it is -30C or it could have broken. It didn't work after the car wash. It worked right before the car wash.
Is it possible to release the hood some other way other than the owners manual or do I need to be towed to a mechanic.

Robn

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
....Is it possible to release the hood some other way other than the owners manual or do I need to be towed to a mechanic.
Why would the vehicle need to be towed anywhere? Any reason you could not drive it to a Cadillac dealership body shop?

·
Registered
2006 STS V Tango int
2,341 Posts
So at -30C that would be about -22F why are you washing your car when its that cold? I would imagine every thing that opens would be froze shut so yea that's probably the issue

·
Registered
1985 Fleetwood Brougham, 2002 DTS, 2011 CTS-V wagon
162 Posts
Take it to a warm garage or get a hairdryer to de thaw your frozen hood latch.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,564 Posts
:yeah: Thaw it out and then spray the mechanism down with WD40 to prevent it from refreezing.

·
Registered
2003 sts
1,754 Posts
Yeah mine wouldn't open one cold morning last year (it was in the teens though , not negatives)I just sprayed the latch with wd-40 and it opened right up.yeah yours might be frozen from the car wash.

·
Registered
2003 STS best car EVER
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Because if you try and can't start it at -30 you have just killed your battery.
This is why opening the hood is so important. I need to plug in my car so I cant get a warm oil start to my engine.

----------

It is just cold here Jim. When it it gets this cold, engines don't start and batteries die.

----------

Take it to a warm garage or get a hairdryer to de thaw your frozen hood latch.
I can do that...where do I position the hairdryer? I'm guessing near the drivers side headlight? Where is this switch?

----------

My latch is not the problem. It is the mechanism from the initial release that is.
I know it isn't broken.... It just isn't initiating a release.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Omerus said:
Because if you try and can't start it at -30 you have just killed your battery.
This is why opening the hood is so important.
You know your battery is under the rear seat, right?

·
Registered
2003 STS best car EVER
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Because it was covered in salt and ice.
Sorry...I replied to the wrong thread. I am just relieved it is all over .

What you missed:
I know that, but.....I have no idea how to get to to the battery still. I have never needed to.
Where does one pull up on the rear seat to get to it without doing damage?

Thankfully I have a good battery. She started up for me tonight and once I heated up the engine (I revved it for while) the hood release finally worked!
Merry Christmas!!
She is now plugged in and ready for a road trip tomorrow.
-35 is cold even if you are dressed for.

Thank to all that helped.

"

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,564 Posts
Just reach under the front edge of the rear seat cushion and lift. Once it comes loose, disconnect the blue seat heater connector on the passengers side before trying to remove the cushion.

·
Registered
2003 STS best car EVER
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WD40 is a good idea. I had the car detailed this past summer so maybe it lost something in cleaning to make it look good.
Still, this was not the secondary latch, it was the electronic release on the first release that didn't work. Do you know where that trigger is on engine.?

----------

Thank you for that. The driver's heated seat doesn't work on my car and while I think it has just worn itself out, I thought the easiest place to start would be to check for a connection to the battery if I wanted to fix it. Still, I hate the thought of jump starting a car from a backseat. I wonder how many tow drivers would agree with that.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,080 Posts
Ummm, yeah....... ^^^ :hmm:........... the hood release and safety catch are both (stock) mechanical.

The heated seat elements have a habit of developing an open circuit - broken element - at the most inopportune times. Google "cadillac forums seville heated seat element replacement".

Nothing wrong with jumping the battery at the battery - and the underhood fuse box/engine head area has both a positive and negative connector point for jumping also.

EDIT: Washing a car in that temperature .......... you're very, very lucky that the hood latch is the only "frozen problem".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts