I have a Cat that used to start without any problems but in the last week, it has left my wife (and mother in law) stranded several times. When it doesn't start it cranks fine but wont fire. After the car sits for a few hours or overnight it will start fine again. This sounds like other threads so I hoped my problem was also the crankshaft position sensor Unfortunately, Autozone told me I had 8 codes and none of them had to deal with the crankshaft position sensor.
So now I'm here asking for help from my fellow Catera owners. Can anyone tell me if of the codes below have to deal with the crankshaft position sensor or a reason for the sporadic starting issue?
1) 1870 - manuf controlled transmission - what the [email protected]#%$%^#$
! I too like several other owners have the "occasional" transmission light that comes on once in awhile and I plan to address it soon but if the tranny is going I may be doomed.
2) 0171 - system too lean bank 1
3) 0174 - system too lean bank 2
Could these be the result of octane booster I added? Long story short, wife filled up with the cheapest gas possible and car began to idle rough. After reading threads I disconnected the mass airflow sensor (which helped :thumbsup
. I need a MAF but Autozone and a couple of other part stores don't know they exist in our cars. So I'll have to search the internet.
4) 1161 - computer controlled air monitoring. I'm pretty sure this is the MAF
5) 0100 - VAF circuit malfunction (could this also be the "MAF")
6) 0300 - random cylinder misfire
7) 0301 - cylinder 1 misfire
8) 0303 - cylinder 3 misfire
Again,I was planning on changing the crankshaft position sensor but I don't know if it will help me or not. Any suggestions fellow Catera lovers?