Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
but I get em on reaction time im three blocks away before they leave the lights and figure out that thats a hearse next to 'em.

:D sho is fun :D

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Yeah, I had a '69 fleetwood with 472 back in the EARLY '70s. The car was heavy, But it hauled ass!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im afraid to find out how slow my 1/4 time is I haven't raced it yet, just stop light to stop light. The 500 will cure that though

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I wish I had a track around here. The closest thing to me is Cordova and rarely do I ever head that direction, I should get a G-tech. I have plenty of county roads around here that are infrequently traveled

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Yeah, We don't have a track around here either. Closest one is about 80 miles! They're talking about building a new one about ten miles away.....Man"O" Man I hope that happens!

·
Registered
1984 Fleetwood Brougham coupe
1,576 Posts
We got 2 tracks down here. Both about 20 miles away from my house. The old one is Alamo Dragway. Its better suited for 4X4 racing as it is very bumpy and older than me. The second one is Rivercity Dragway ( they changed the name a few months ago and I can't remember it) Its less than 5 yrs old and very nice. It was an uphill battle for the owner because the small town nearby didn't want it built. Too bad!!!!!!! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I always though it would be cool to have my own drag strip and road course :D

some day

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I knwo Ive been planning all weekend to see it then i missed it. DOH! it made me mad i really wanted ro see it

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Even if you don't have a REAL track, you should still do some sort of actual timed runs to gauge actual performance changes after mods. I know more guys that do multiple mods to their cars and then they never REALLY know what they actually got from each mod. It is possible to get a power drop from one mod and a rather large GAIN from another which nets you a SMALL gain. That small gain ends up either making the owner happy (ignorance is bliss), or a little disappointed.
Track your mods and what they actually do to the car, and then you can see what REALLY works and what's waste of time/money.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thats I good tip I just might invest in a G-tech

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I have the luxury of a dyno in my shop for the motorcycles and I track each mod.as I do it for that very reason. I'm also lucky enough to have access to a car dyno that I can trade time on if I want to....But I never have any time to get there when he's there!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
im too poor to afford dyno time :D

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I don't know what the rates are for the car dynos but I charge $100 an hour for the bike one with a two hour minimun for F.I. Mapping!

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Dynos have their uses but when it comes to overall automotive mods, it has limited value. And if you're dyno tuning a car with the standard O2's, you're wasting your time because they're terribly inaccurate. Nowhere near accurate enough for tuning.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I agree, When I do dyno tuning I consider the dyno to be just one of the tools that I use absolutly NOT the end all. I usually shoot for the best horsepower/torque numbers and leave it at that! The air/fuel testing on most dynos leaves something to be desired (I have the latest stuff from Dyno Jet) and some are much more accurate than others. After I tune I always run the vehicle on the street to check the driveability of the work that I've done 'cause no matter what the numbers say you've still gotta be able to drive the thing every day. I also find that gain or no gain if the "seat of the pants feel " is better the customer generally is happy with the results. I've had guys lose a little horsepower and gain driveability and be VERY happy. and more than once I've had to explain to a guy that most of the time he's driving the tourque not the horsepower. That is something that the average guy doesn't understand. people talk about horsepower more than torque but usually its torque they experience when they hit the gas.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Yeah, that's why it's usually safe to leave it a little rich even though there's actually more power available if you lean it out a little. Unfortunately, without a wide-band setup you're not going to be able to really gnats-ass it anyway.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Yep! My sentiments exactly. I run my own to the gnats ass but I always leave my customers a little leg room so to speak,'cause I can't trust them to really listen to how their engine is runnig and downshift at the first sign of pre-ignition. So, I leave it a little rich and it runs a little cooler....Not idiot proof but better!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts