Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i had my car parked on grass for about a month at my mother's house without being started. When i jumped started it, it ran a little rough, but i mostly consider thats due to moisture near the coil towers. Now the main issue, im driving down the street and i gave it a little gas, the car stuttered and the speedometer dropped to 0 and stayed there, this car has never done this prior to me leaving it parked. I ran the codes and got p503 which points to a issue with the vss sensor. Im not overly worried because i honestly believe its a moisture build up in the connector, especially since the car was parked on grass, there are no rodents and rats near where my car was parked. Where is the vss sensor? And should i be worried? My car has never done this in the 2.5 years i owned it.

Sent from my LG-SP200 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
VSS is on top of the transmission output shaft housing, right side - about where a passenger's toes would point.
Alright, should i take a gamble and replace it or get a can of contact cleaner and spray the connector down in hopes of removing moisture?

·
-Administrator- 2002.5 F55 STS 2014 FWD Explorer
66,638 Posts
Your call - always go the cheapest, easiest route first.

Parked on grass MIGHT cause moisture invasion but I'd bet on a squirrel or rat chewing wires.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your call - always go the cheapest, easiest route first.

Parked on grass MIGHT cause moisture invasion but I'd bet on a squirrel or rat chewing wires.
No Rats anywhere near where my car was parked, there arent even any trees that are that close by. But anything's possible, will i do any damage to the car if i drive it back to the city before working on it? Around 45ish miles.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
As suggested first make sure you aren't having low voltage conditions. However, spontaneous VSS failure is not unheard of. It'll not drive well without correct readings from the VSS. You can inspect the wiring and clean the connectors with some electrical contact cleaners and see if that helps. If not, replace VSS.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
18,827 Posts
As suggested first make sure you aren't having low voltage conditions. However, spontaneous VSS failure is not unheard of. It'll not drive well without correct readings from the VSS. You can inspect the wiring and clean the connectors with some electrical contact cleaners and see if that helps. If not, replace VSS.
======================
moot point - he wrecked the car -

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
======================
moot point - he wrecked the car -
Yes I did indeed, but I learned several things from experience with that car, being on top maintenance is the main one.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
That's too bad. I just read up on that thread.

Not a proper solution for the intermittent VSS, or was it? :canttalk:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts