Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking lately(insert overused joke here). I do notice a bit more oversteer with the Hotchkis bars on. And what I was suffering from greatly at a track like Grattan was lack of traction on corner exit, mostly because of all the offcamber(some severe) turns. I also was finding myself sideways a couple of times on the high speed, off camber Turn 4 at Putnam Park.

Even if it brings me on the other side of neutral, I think I'm going to go to a 275 tire on the back for the track as well. I decided to install 275/40 PS2s because I knew the bars would get me a bit of oversteer and I wasn't as concerned with 10/10ths handling on the street as I was for the track. But I think I would've done a little better at Putnam and I know I could shave at least a second with quicker application of throttle on corner exit.

So now I've got to figure out if I will make the switch before the end of this year or wait till next year. Should I send my stockers out to be widened or try to find a set from among V owners? Should I(gasp) throw the PS2s on the 8.5" wheels and get 275/35s on my current widened wheels? Hmmm...

Great thing is...I can find the matching rears for my fronts on ebay. Somebody has tons of Hoosier GAC slicks for sale...

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Go 275 in all corners as you'll still have mid-corner pushing during exceleration/exiting with the wider rears. Yes they do grip better and help put the power down but....

Simply put...Buy wider rims.:thumbsup:

Jim - you're making me nervous with all your track time lately! I'm envious!

·
Registered
2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V
3,570 Posts
I definitely say widen the rear rims. How wide is up to you though. :thumbsup::)

The ~maximum rim width you can go in the rear is a 10" rim (without any offset), unless, of course, (a) don't mind the tire sticking out from the body or (b) add flares to the car. A 10.5" rim in the rear *may* work if you change the dust cover on the rear shocks, but it would still be one hell of a tight fit.

There is probably going to be, however, some modifications required if you go to a 10" rim. Some mods might include: the repositioning of the emergency brake line, some body work, some work to the lower control arm, etc. :)

I thought you already had widen rear rims though? From Lastss or something? :confused:

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I knew I'd cornfuse ya. I have 9 stock wheels. 1) 8.5" for my crappy F1 spare. 4) 8.5" with 245/40 Hoosier GAC slicks. 2) 8.5" with 245/45 PS2s. 2) 9.25" with 275/40 PS2s...

So that's 7) 8.5" wide wheels and 2) 9.25" wide wheels. I would eventually like to have 4) 9.25" wide wheels. 2 for street tires AND 2 for track tires.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Go 275 in all corners as you'll still have mid-corner pushing during exceleration/exiting with the wider rears. Yes they do grip better and help put the power down but....

Simply put...Buy wider rims.:thumbsup:

Jim - you're making me nervous with all your track time lately! I'm envious!
To be honest, I think the 245 slicks up front are pretty stout. Of course wider is better. When I burn off these Hoosiers, maybe I will embark on a journey for 255/40 18, 285/35 18 slicks...

·
Registered
12 CTS Coupe Premium/Touring, 16 Volt, 13 911s, 07 Legacy GT Wagon
1,802 Posts
I vote for using your existing 9.25's with 275 track tires.
Who cares if you run 8.5 rears on the street.

Or better yet, buy a set of the GM alloys from Luke, widen 2 and make those your track wheels.
As open as those GM alloys are, they might even give more airflow to the brakes.
Dennis has not turned his calipers orange yet and he runs the GM alloys at the track.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts