Cadillac Owners Forum banner

I Just LOST all my KEYS at the mall... PLEASE HELP me out!

5K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  DTS_BOI 
#1 ·
Well, I lost all my keys at the mall. I own a 2005 STS V-8. My wife still has her set. Can someone please tell me how badly the dealer will rape me for a new Key Fob and a new hard copy key for the doors?

I know the fobs are "special", and I was thinking about getting one on Ebay, BUT WHAT ABOUT THE HARD COPY KEY FOR THE DOORS?? Does this key have a chip too? Do I need to program the door key too?

Can someone throw out some rough prices and give me some advice.....

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
replacing the fob may not be to bad if you look on the back of your wife's fob should have a 1 or a 2 imprinted on the back, if it says 2, then order another fob off e-bay or where ever you trust and get a fob with a 1,or vice versa, and then the programming instructions are in the owner's manual. You can program the new fob in your car. For the key itself check with a reputable locksmith they can tell you if you have to go thru a dealer or if they can make a replacement for you. best wishes

#3 ·
The key is just a standard one and even Home Depot can copy that. The fobs are readily available on ebay for $20 to $25 and it really doesn't matter if it says 1 or 2 since they are the same--just mark it yourself to keep track. The problem is going to be the programming--if you do the quick learn, it will become #3 which means non of the meory functions can be linked. You will need to do the expanded programming and erase the previous #1 and #2 and start over--still not a big deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.