Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
05' CTS-V
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had my first road race on saturday at homestead...WHAT A BLAST! I've got a lot of work to do on my self, mainly bad habits that are hard to break and learning how to heel-toe....I boiled the PS fluid on the first session, turned the front calipers slightly gold, and on the third session my knee accidentally turned the A/C on, I realized this when all I heard was ding ding ding and my oil temp was over 300*, it's all good though I had tons of fun. I'm gonna start looking for a track car now, thinking 80's camaro/mustang or an rx-7.

and the thing that surprised me the most is that my tires don't look any worse than when I set off for the track in the morning :confused: I'm not complaining though...and on the G-Meter 1.15<>1.17, now the fun starts looking for a beater car :D

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
800 Posts
Congrats that sounds like a blast!

·
Registered
2004 CTSV(killed), 2005 CTSV(killed that too). 2004 DTS.
1,576 Posts
Big respect to Nikon for drivin' hard in Homestead.
It was sweet. My instructor said I was horrible. I wouldn't listen to him and was pissing him off on day one. I think I hurt the guys neck I was so jerky with the car.
Day two it rained and I wound up being faster in the rain because I was able to slow down enough to hit most of my apex's and exit much faster. I had a different instructor that had a better teaching style for me.
I also learned about "red mist". You don't want it. It slows you down and gets you tense. The rain on day two made most people leave for last track run. I think there were 4 cars on the wet track. It was a great feeling just doing laps with nobody else around. Sebring is in October. All the instuctors say it is much faster.

·
Registered
12 CTS Coupe Premium/Touring, 16 Volt, 13 911s, 07 Legacy GT Wagon
1,802 Posts
Congrats. :thumbsup:

In regards to getting a track car, I always had one.
However, since the V is such a great performance car I think you should keep tracking it.
You already broke the ice.

If you get a track car you will have 25-40K in it before you know what hit you.
To save yourself all that financial burden and hours of maintenance on a track car (plus your V) just keep tracking the V.
Then you can justify (and use) all those mods you want to do to the V.
Also you get more time to spend bonding with the V as you increase your maintenance schedule.

The money you save tracking the V will go a long way towards getting you into an 09 V.
Once you have an 09 V then you can decide to keep tracking the old V or trade it for a 30K track car.
(09 V is just too nice to track)

If you still want to get a track car now, forget about the 3 you mentioned.
They all need heavy mods to do well.
A lightly modded WRX will destroy all of those on track.
(I have vids to prove that)

If you just want to jump in a track car and go, think WRX (with light mods), STi, EVO, S2000, C5 Z06, E36 M3.
Those are the top of the heap in bang for the buck as they are available used for great prices.
FYI - The Subarus are nearly bulletproof and as such provide the most trouble free driving enjoyment.

Either way enjoy. :cool2:

BTW - Didn't anyone tell you that you get better laptimes stepping on the gas as opposed to the brakes. :histeric:

·
Premium Member
'05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon
6,076 Posts
<SNIP>
...turned the front calipers slightly gold...
<SNIP>
...and the thing that surprised me the most is that my tires don't look any worse than when I set off for the track in the morning :confused: I'm not complaining though...
<SNIP>
What tires, brakes and brakefluid were you running?

My last track day I was running Falken RT615's, Hawk HP+ front HPS rear & ATE Blue. My brakes were way out performing my tires. I'd have had a better chance turning my tires gold, before my calipers would have bronzed up.

Curious,

Chris

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
and when I say track car, I mean 1-2k, don't have alot to spend, nor do I care about being the fastest out there. Just wanna have fun and not screw up the V.
I hear you and that's actually my point.
There is no such thing as a $1-2K track car.
Trust me, you will have way more in it than you ever dreamed.

Cheapest way to hit the track really is in the car you already have (the V).

The ultimate budget way to go is a rental car.
Sounds lame, but ask around and you will see it's what lots of instructors and real race drivers do when they need a casual track day fix.
They will even have a list of their favorite rental car track mules.

Don't stress about hurting the V, if you are a cautious driver, your odds are far better at the track than on public roads.
Exponentially better in fact.

Whatever you decide, have fun! :D

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,126 Posts
We were running NASA HPDE events.
I know, I was being a smartass. There's a huge difference between open track events and road racing. I've never been wheel-to-wheel racing, and I have no illusions that an HPDE is at the same level.

It just feels like your racing.
If it does, you're doing it wrong.

I hear you and that's actually my point.
There is no such thing as a $1-2K track car.
Trust me, you will have way more in it than you ever dreamed.

Cheapest way to hit the track really is in the car you already have (the V).
Oooohhh, poppycock! :p Go on Ebay and buy yourself a Miata for under $2k and there's your track car. Every single consumable (pads, rotors, fluids, tires, wheels, etc) will be vastly cheaper than the same bits for the CTS-V, and they'll last waaaaay longer. And if even if you decide to upgrade the car substantially, parts are far more readily available, far cheaper, and we're still nowhere near the expense of a relatively new car. The Miata is just one example, of course. The previously mentioned Mustang and Camaro platforms are cheap, readily available, and infinitely upgradeable if you so desire. Same goes for an E30 3-series Bimmer, an old RX-7, etc etc etc.

Don't stress about hurting the V, if you are a cautious driver, your odds are far better at the track than on public roads.
Exponentially better in fact.
Unfortunately, shit happens on track. Whether it be driver error or mechanical failure, the fact is that every time you go on track you could wad up your pretty car. That's a risk management calculation that each of us has to do on our own. For now, despite the fact that I could easily go buy a 2nd CTS-V right now, I'd much rather risk my paid-off-4-years-ago Subaru or paid-off-even-longer-ago Mustang on track.

·
Registered
'09 V BR 4dr 6spd,'05 C6R 1400+HP, '05 V BEST EVA!!
2,660 Posts
J,
Way to represent. Just remember, replacing calipers, brake pads and tires (track events) is as expensive as replacing rear-ends (drag strip):lildevil:.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Let's see, you're 57. So from '89 to the early 90's you'd be driving an M5, E500, exotic, Corvette ZR-1, or something about 3 times the cost of an SHO to be able to talk much smack about it.
Since you are from the Ford camp, would not a Merkur XR4Ti from that era hand a SHO it's ass? :alchi:

My ex boss bought one of those along with a 76 Z thinking they would be his 1K track day wonder mobiles.
Needless to say, he never makes it to the track anymore (since he stopped taking his STR-10).
He means well though and is still a great enthusiast and friend.

However, that XR4Ti looks good on paper and they do have a strong following in rallycross.
It just takes $$$ to build them up.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts