Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1986 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Remember those wire wheels I found in the junkyard a while back?

Well, I've been busy working on them in my basement over the past few weeks, and they're starting to look pretty nice!

Here's the before and after:

And just for comparison, here's how they looked when I found them:

All of them together:

Not bad for $12 a piece! I even got the 4 center caps with them.

I used Permatex Rust Dissolver Jel (Naval Jelly) to remove all the rust and grime, then used SOS pads to remove the dull residue left behind the naval jelly. I have a can of "Chrome paint" that I'm going to spray the edge of the rims with, to prevent all the pits in the area from rusting every time they get water on them. There's a bit more pitting on the Hubs, which I'm going to touch up with a small brush and silver paint.

Can't wait for the spring, I'm going to buy a some new rubber for these and throw them on my Brougham!

·
Registered
'09 Dodge Challenger RT, '84 Cadillac CDV, '05 Ford Crown Vic Sport
2,241 Posts
I'm still so amazingly jealous of your junkyard find! I need to head to our local yard and see if I can find anything nearly as cool. :) Your rims look amazing, keep up the great work!

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
4,414 Posts
That looks like a professional detailer job , fantastic stuff
:highfive:

·
Registered
1989 Cadillac Brougham D'elegance
28 Posts
Nice job man! Are those 15x7's or 16x7's? I'm looking for some wire wheels for my Brougham also.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice job man! Are those 15x7's or 16x7's? I'm looking for some wire wheels for my Brougham also.
They're 15s, same size as the stock steel wheels. If you want a perfect set, there's a company that makes replicas of them for $1200/set, which is a fair price considering a similar set from Dayton is $2000. You can usually find some used original ones in good condition (no rust) on eBay for $500 - $1000. Keep your eyes out in the junkyards and your local Craigslist/Kijiji as well. One time I saw I guy selling a whole Brougham for $500, I was thinking of buying it just for the wire wheels it had on it, then parting the rest of it. Then I remembered I live in the city and have no space for a 20 foot long parts car :bonkers:

Fantastic work. Buy, clean and flip a few sets of these and you can buy a mint Brougham for the weekends.
Thanks!
Never thought about flipping them, if I ever see any more of these at the junkyard I'll pick them up for sure. You guys have first dibs if I ever have another complete set to sell.

·
Registered
1986 Coupe DeVille
7 Posts
I would not put chrome paint on those. Its not really like chrome. You will prob just have a lot more cleaning to do to get the paint off.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wasn't planning on painting the whole thing. Just the last 1/2 inch, because that's where 85% of the pits are, and the chrome in that area is dull from the rust anyhow. Do you think I'm better off just cleaning them with SOS pads once a week? No sarcasm intended, I'll actually do that if the paint is just going to peel and look like garbage.

·
Registered
None (for now)
207 Posts
That's a great job of cleaning up! BTW have you thought of electroplating to get rid of pitted/discolored areas? Caswell offers some interesting kits for reasonable prices. (No, I'm not a sales rep for Caswell haha)

Now you've got me prompted to scout around salvage yards here ... I've seen some late 80's Cadillacs there, but somebody has usually grabbed the wheels & covers. Bums.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't know anything about DIY electroplating, which kit might I use for this?

·
Registered
NONE
188 Posts
You couldn't electroplate at home. The home kits are only good for small itmes like screws. You would need a large tank for wheels and lots of EPA approvals. Plus, to do it right you would need to disasemble the wheels, then reassemble and true the wheels, major work. Cheaper to buy repros.

·
Registered
Cadillac 86 f/wood brougham 307, 77 f/wood
155 Posts
Envy,jealousy, call it what you like but thats a bargain.Well done .
I am suspicious of chrome paint match you may get and if the prep isn`t done properly I 'feel it will peel' n look cruddier.

Those are the fillers I need on that car too --same as my 86 .Jealous again cos noway are there any caddy parts around here. Other than -16 ( cruel) I would love to spend time just cruising around pulling parts from those junkyards.Were that the case I would have pulled 4 doors instead of patching em like attached pic --takes hours --anyway that is an aside .
You got my attention re the "eye candy "post but your wheels look great
mike

Attachments

·
Registered
chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
6,397 Posts
yikes mike. thats some really bad door rust.
fwiw, chrome paint doesnt work- its just silver when put next to real chrome. as is alclad and other DIY chrome painting processes- it looks chromey until you put it next to real chrome, where it looks silver.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts