Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1984 deville 4.1 v8
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi ive got my cadillac running but not well and did the fault codes and it came up this E52 - PCM Memory Reset how do i do this in my hanyes manual it said ecm fault :confused: but just looked on here and says this ?

thanks for any help its a 84 4.1 deville by the way thanks again for any help

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,624 Posts
I don't think it is telling you to reset the memory. I think it is telling you that it was done. I don't think you can do it.

·
Registered
93 Sedan Deville 4.9L
1,005 Posts
99% of the time e52 is just telling you the battery was disconnected in the last X number of starts. It will probably go away after a day or two of ignition cycles. If the battery has been pulled then any other trouble codes would have been cleared and will not come back until they are re-detected, May have to drive it a bit to get any new codes to appear to help trace your problems.

·
Registered
'87 Coupe DeVille 4.1L FWD(New engine '08) 1981 F100 '03FXDL
879 Posts
As Bars said the 52 code will set every time the battery is disconnected. It will disappear after a number of engine starts. Disconnecting the battery is almost always a bad idea. When power is disconnected: the RAM of the computer is wiped-out and the control system reverts to the default ROM to run everything engine related. The ROM was used when everything was brand-new out of the box. The RAM is what the computer uses to 'tweak' the control systems in order to obtain the best possible performance given the less than brand-new out of the box conditions. Until the RAM is rebuilt the engine will not perform the best it can. RAM is the 'learned history' and dumping it isn't a good idea. That haynes 'repair' manual you are using is incomplete. You would be much better-off with a Cadillac Factory Service Manual. ebay has FSMs for your DeVille in the $30 price range. The FSM is the best tool a man who does his own work can have....IMO. Smart spend and will pay for itself almost immediately.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,735 Posts
What do you mean, "got it running?" was the engine apart? Assuming you know how to enter diagnostics, once entered, you can erase code 52 by holding off and high at the same time till .0.0 displays. Find the sticky related to accessing codes and entering diagnostics on the climate control display if not familiar.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts