Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2011 SRX4 3.0 Engine
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For many DIY repairs you need a INCH pound wrench - not foot pound one, unless you have a great deal of experience you are not going to be able to "hand feel" a bolt to 8.8 inch pounds.

I always borrowed a mechanic friends wrench, it was great, nicely small (12 inches)and 1/4 inch drive 3% accuracy, even has a adjustable angle head- today he asked me to stop by and out of the blue he handed me a brand new one as a gift:):p:D

its a Matco model TRA200FK they aint cheap at 250 bucks, (it comes with a calibration certificate) - but you need to buy or borrow a good one, or risk snapping a water pump bolt and having to yank the engine to get it out. cheap wrenches can have as much as a +/- 10% error - possibly more.... which is nothing if you are doing head bolts at 160 foot pounds - but alot if you are doing 8.8 inch pounds

Steve
Sleeve Thigh Wood Knee Flooring

·
Registered
2013 SRX PERFORMANCE, ICE WHITE
625 Posts
I would think that vehicle manufacturers would allow for at least 10% error tolerance. 8.8 in # is very little in the world of torque.

George

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
75,385 Posts
The Northstars are full of lb/in torque values.

Many gearheads use "squeak tight + 1/4 turn" and that's why we always recommend doing it by the book (the GM/Cadillac/Helm service manuals. +/- 10% is not a good practice.

·
Registered
2012 SRX4 Premium
818 Posts
My $15 special from Harbor Freight works just fine. Quality seems surprisingly good. Honestly I don't think it has to be super accurate. The real problem is just going by your sense of feel, which BTW you can get pretty good at gauging if you turn enough wrenches. With small fasteners I'm always worried I'll break the damned thing off, so yeah, got to have an inch lb wrench for the small stuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts