Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was coming home today from the gas station, and I get behind this 1990's era N/A 300ZX with a custom exhaust system and I see hes accelerating very fast and is ducking in and out of traffic, so I'm in a bad mood, so I start to follow and eventually, I get up next to him at a stoplight.

At the light, I can hear him revving his motor a little bit and creeping up to the line, so I let off the brakes and inch up to the line with out revving my engine, and then the light goes green and I gun it. I give it about 3/4 throttle off the line and then when I get to about 25 I put her to the floor and I'm way ahead of the 300ZX, then I get to about 55 in a 50 and I let off and I hear him coming up next to me, so when he gets to about my rear bumper, I floor it again, but he passed me and I couldnt get up to him after that, even though I was doing about 75 in a 50. (Stupid idea, but I was mad and under a lot of stress which made me do this, I usually dont)

I think his was an automatic, and the Nissan VQ30DE has no low end torque below 3000 rpm, my friends '93 Maxima SE with the same motor has nothing below 3000, then at 3000 the cams switch over and it rockets to redline. I beat him to 50 because of the 4.9's impressive amount of low end torque, and then he passed me because of the DOHC 3.0's killer top end.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Mccombie :)

·
Registered
1979 Phaeton Coupe, 1990 Brougham d'Elegance 5.7 liter
4,416 Posts
Cool, I always was told that the 4.9s are slow off the line... I guess they were rong, nice kill :)

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hah maybe the Ford 4.9 I-6, but even that is torquey

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
14,607 Posts
no , the 4.9 will even take a northstar off the line ,provided you can get traction .....thats the one thing its good at , is blowing the doors off just about anything off the line ....but after 60 feet or second gear, you may as well be a geo metro , there is absolutely nothing there ...complete slug ....

for some reason she just wont freakin breathe

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wait Stoney, you're referring to the 4.9 V8 right? Because the 4.9 I-6 has a lot of low end torque too, just not AS much as the V8

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In reference to the earlier 4.9 V. Northstar post, I actually have raced a 1996 STS before in my deville.

Sitting next to him at a 2 lane left turn lane, light goes green we both go through the turn, and when we get to the straight part hes right next to me. And I punch it and for a second I'm ahead of him but then he nails it and slowly gets next to me, and by 55mph he inches past me and sails ahead.

I've always wanted to run a N* car against mine on a straight road from a dead stop. I know it would be close off the line, but by the time we got to 60, he would be getting ahead of me and gaining distance quickly.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
4.9 is crazy all thruy 1st... best for my car is to drive normal around 25mph then floor it...damn!

But once I hit 2nd... she still has quite a bit, actually alot... it seems to be alot better as of late though... who knows. Its 3rd gear, around 90mph where things really slow down....

I love my 4.9.

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
4.9s aren't bad. I tried to play with a 4.9 Seville (91) but the dude would have none of it.

Anyway a pretty similar thing happened with my ETC vs a TT 300zx, I pulled a lil bit from 25-50, then he stayed with his bumper right at my door.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow an ETC beats a TT 300ZX from 25-50!

I would love to see the look on his face! :D

I guess thats not hard to believe, the 300ZX seems like it would kick your cars ass, but they both have 300HP and your cars got more torque, where as his is lighter. ( I dont know how much though)

·
Banned
7,971 Posts
Not to mention that 300zx's are old and who knows what state-of-tune the car's in by now. They're very low 14s cars to start with, no queston that out of the showroom he'd have pulled me pretty easily.

·
Registered
'91 Sedan DeVille Silhouette Special
439 Posts
4.9's are beasts off the line. The other night I was videotaping a race between 2 modded 350Z's, on a closed track of course, and had to let off after launching because I nearly slammed into the back of one of them.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah it's always fun to accelerate up to about 15mph slowly then just wail on it at 15. It REALLY throws you into your seat! I LOOOOOOVE it!!! :D

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac DeVille 4.9L
203 Posts
Yeah, I've taken a 350Z of the line until the shift to second in my 4.9. The torque is amazing when you get traction.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cool! I wonder how my car would stand up against a SRT-4 thats running around town. I guess he's running around 275hp or so. I guess if I can get traction off the line, I'll beat him for a bit.

·
Banned
7,971 Posts
You'll beat him for about 20 feet :p

I hate SRT-4s. They run the same times at 5400' as they do at sea level since the stock computer will run more boost to make up for the altitude. Found that out the hard way. The guy said his car was stock, I didn't believe it until I learned that...

·
Registered
'91 Sedan DeVille Silhouette Special
439 Posts
A stock SRT-4 against a modded DeVille (Read: My DeVille) is a good race, in the 1/8th. A 240whp SRT-4 walked me harder than a 300whp Camaro SS did from a 30mph roll.

If you want to race a modded SRT-4, you have to do it from a dig and pray. Alot. Even then I think you'll need some mods.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
SRT's are an annoying runt of a car! (The 4 atleast, I have a respect for the SRT-10 and SRT-8's)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts