Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the car cut off on me the service light came on i took it to the shop they said i need new crank sensors 500 dollars (wtf) and then i took the car home was about to clean it then i rembered i need some more car wash soap but wat do u kno it wouldnt start it was cranking like it was about too but it didnt i didnt drive the car the whole day but did drive it the night before ? and the shop i now tellin me the car is starting up fine they cant find nothing wrong wit it ? help anyone

·
Registered
2000 Deville DTS
379 Posts
The diagnosis of the crankshaft position sensors sounds correct and the symptoms you are describing are typical when they go out. GM had a bad batch of them but have since have a better vender now. $500 is a bit pricey since you could do it yourself and the sensors (there are 2 of them) cost about $100. I would check RockAuto.com or even ebay. I had the same exact problem with my DTS and I replaced both of mine myself.

I will tell you that replacing them is a PITA, especially if you have large hands. The work space is pretty tight, but not impossible.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,990 Posts
Check the codes. Bad CKP sensors are common as Domino said from 2000 to early 2003. $500 seems outrageous.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,990 Posts
CKP sensor failures are usually intermittent, but will set a DTC most times.

·
Registered
03 DTS
225 Posts
my 03 had them both go out 4/07 21K miles, about $250 at a regular chevy dealer for the whole job if I had top pay but luckinly I still had warranty. Just FYI regular Chevy dealers can do a lot of cad work for less $, not everything but a lot.

·
Registered
Cadillac
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my 03 had them both go out 4/07 21K miles, about $250 at a regular chevy dealer for the whole job if I had top pay but luckinly I still had warranty. Just FYI regular Chevy dealers can do a lot of cad work for less $, not everything but a lot.
i really didnt kno that thanks for tellin me that tho

·
Registered
Cadillac
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yo i took the car from the shop wed and i drove it home parked it and its cranking but not starting wtf i jus changed both censors wtf

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sounds like you need a new crank sensor and ignition module.Any GMdealer can do the work for less than$500.:tisk:

·
Registered
03 DTS
225 Posts
Sounds like you need a tech that knows how to Troubleshoot insteade of shooting from the hip. We just told you what had happened to ours, with both crank sensors replaced something else is wrong. Often intermitten ignition problems go back to the engine control module, but not always. Eitherway the cranksensors would have went out so think of that as money well spent and now find someone who can figure out whats wrong.

·
Registered
Cadillac
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
any help i live dc metro area i go to capitol cadillac in greenbelt u guys said any chvy shop could do it?
and how much is the ignition module i might need
and by the way the car starts after it sits for a short period (less than 12 hours) but goe back to doing the same thing

·
Registered
03 DTS
225 Posts
This could be a fuel pump issue as well, sometimes the C/V's stick. Usually engine modules work after they cool not right away. however if the fuel pump is not holding and the C'Vs are sticking it could cause this. I don't know who to reccomend. It must start eventually doesn't it or is it towed in? When it does what does it do, does it just crank a long time then eventually start?

·
Registered
Cadillac
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i still got the car
i went out at 130 am and then at like 6 i tried to start it but it didnt start just cranked but now 9 pm i could start it

·
Registered
Cadillac
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the service tech said they checked the fuel pump im guessin its the module everyone is sayin
i aint take it to the shop yet im tryin to find a new shop i might send it to a chevy dealer shop dont kno yet if anyone got some suggestions please help

1 - 16 of 16 Posts