Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please anyone help! I added something to my car the same day the problem began, I am not sure if its related, The car has not had a tune-up in awhile but has had oil changes on schedule and all fluids/electrical appears ok.. I have a very good sound sytem in it with a 1.5 farad stiffening capacitor (stores electrical energy for amp) for the subwoofer amplifier, after I installed it (the cap), it seems like my car is running terrible! (not sure if theres a correlation..it could have touched metal in my trunk on the top posts of the capacitor as it was loose temporarily on accident while driving and may have touched the amplifier and could have made an electrical arc to the chassis through ground wire?)
The car has always driven very perfect and smooth, and idled fine up until now! its a 1990 eldorado with a 4.5 v8 and 140,xxx miles on the car, in almost perfect shape I bought it from the OG owner like 6 months ago! The problem is it appears to be running super rich and the MPG just went from like 14.xx-16 down to like 13 or worse! The exhaust is chugging very hard at idle and seems to go "pug pug pug pug pug", smells like unburnt fuel and very noxious...and its seriously bogged down all of the sudden! Drives jerky likes its only on 6-7 cylinders! What could be wrong? Please help!?!?! Is it an electrical problem?/spark plugs?/computer?/fuel injection? Please if you have any idea please help me, this car is my world and I dont have much money, I am a 22 year old student, the codes in the display are e048 and e049 current? THANK YOU FOR ANY REPLIES! I LOVE MY CAR AND JUST WANT IT TO BE OK AGAIN! :crying: :crying: :confused: :annoyed: Thanks!

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Re: I have a 1990 eldorado idling very rough running rich bogging down? e048, e049 codes?

Leaky injector??? Bad O2 sensor???

·
Registered
´67 Eldorado, ´96 Eldorado
522 Posts
In my car (same symptoms) it was dirty injector. I used lots of good old cleaning fluid and its OK now.
If O2 sensor is bad, then its show code E017 - left sensor or circuit fault or E013 - right sensor/circuit fault

·
Registered
87 Deville
630 Posts
Sounds to me like you have several fouled spark plugs causing your engine to misfire > Buy a new set of AC DELCO spark plugs and make sure to gap them all to Factory specs and install them in your engine> bet it runs like new after that> I just had the same thing happen to my 87' and Now it runs better than ever! Let me know ok. :spin:

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Re: I have a 1990 eldorado idling very rough running rich bogging down? e048, e049 codes?

Did you have a check engine light on before the work was done to the car? The two codes relate to your EGR and AIR systems. Neither one would generally do what you describe.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Another thing to look at is your temperature sending unit.

If you engine is running rich, the car "thinks" the engine is hot. (this is what would happen with a bad temp sender) A rich mixture cools the engine, just as a lean mixture will warm it up. Your ECU knows these things. A bad temp sender will always tell the ECU that your engine is about to melt into a puddle of goo.

I use a potentiometer wired to the temp sender in my 87 fiero GT to control my fuel mixture. The sender's signal is based on variable resistance. I did it to deliberately richen the mixture when the engine is over 240 degrees, to cool the engine.

The rich mixture will foul your spark plugs, and kill your O2 sensor(s) if you let it go too long.

Oxygen sensors can cost about $80, so don't ruin them.

<The previous statements are the opinion of an unskilled driveway mechanic, and do not come from a code book, or repair manual. Just my past experience.>

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts

Also..... Running too rich will destroy your cats.......

NOT something you wanna put off.......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts