Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
'05 LS6 V Stealth Grey; '14 Z71 SLT Sierra 1500 Stealth Grey
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normally I try to visit the same one or two gas stations. We all know tat's not always possible. Last night I was on the way home from a friends house and got stuck running low on gas. I see a station (sunoco all I use- hey if its good enough for NASCAR) and I tell the guy $10 - 93. Is that too hard to comprehend. First he unscrews the gas cap and lets it drop onto the side of the car. Then he begins to fuel. When finished I watch him pull the hose out spilling a few drops of gas onto the paint. Mind you I clay barred and waxed on Friday so now I'm really not happy. My girlfriend says to me, "Why is the 87 button light up?" After a quick calculation I come to find out he put 87 octane in. Now I'm pissed. I get out and try to pump $10 more of 93 to try and balance out the sh!t he just put in my car. He won't let me pump. I started running my credit card, he cancelled it. Everything I would do, he would take it out of my hand or press the cancel button. He starts giving me attitude, "I've been here 7 years I know what I'm doing." Well evidentally not.
Is 87 that bad? How bad? I know some on here use it, but I'd rather not.

·
Registered
41,011 Posts
If you only bought $10 worth, that's not enough to matter. :lol:

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)
17,712 Posts
No spirited driving, and you'll be alright...
That will be tough.

What can you expect, he works at a gas station. Not standing up for him but either he is not too bright or lazy, either way I wouldn't want him touching my car.

Probably drives a POS that doesn't care if it gets feed Steak (93) or a McDonald's hamburger (87).

·
Registered
2015 BMUU 335i MSport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)
25,514 Posts
The engine should run with 87, just not at the performance level of higher octanes. Like RT mentioned, you shouldn't have gotten more than 3.5-4 gallons. When you get the chance simply top off with 93 somewhere. Not an issue.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
I personally think that 87 octane will totally destroy that car almost immediately. To save that from hapening, send me keys to car, fobs, $$, etc. I will take care of car for next 10 years. You will not have to worry about it falling apart. If anything does break while I have it, I will call you for more $$.

Send everything as quickly as possible so that car does not self destruct. That cheap gas can be real bad for your V. One pint of it can make you feel like you are driving a Daewoo. Remember your image, man.

·
Registered
476 Posts
No worries whatsoever with 87 octane. I run it sometimes when doing long trips on Interstates, and seem to get a little better gas mileage. But I am careful not to lug the motor, and generally raise my shift points higher about 500 rpm. Your knock sensors will retard ignition, but should you start to hear any knocking, just ease off the trottle a bit and shift even higher.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts