Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 95 STS's transmission fixed. I was going to have it rebuild but I melted all of the clutch packs together. So they put in a used one with 73K miles. Man it feels good to be driving a nice car again.

Well just thought I would share my joy :D

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Did you have to get an older tranny or would a newer (post '95) one work? Did the motor have to come out? Details, we want details.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I can answer one question. A newer transmission will work, so long as it is the proper final drive ratio. I have a 96 eldorado transmission in my 95 SLS and it shifts great.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't take it out myself (have no shop) I had my dealer do it. I was going to have it rebuilt but after they took it apart they said it was in really bad shape (melted all the clutch packs together) and if it was his car he would put in a used one. All together it came to $2639.77. (Got an oil change and had a tire fixed they had to polish the rim) It would have been a lot cheaper if they could have rebuilt my old one ($2200) or if I would have just had them put in a used one with out having them take apart the old one. I know I could have gotten it done cheaper but I wanted someone who knew what they were doing working on my car.

I don't think they dropped the engine I think they just pulled the tranny from the bottom.

I am not sure what year the tranny is all I know is that it has 73K miles and has a 90day warranty. And so far it is working great. Just put on about 100 miles and it didn't miss a beat even when I got on it. My brother thought he was going to get around me on the freeway with his little 2004 ford focus ZX3 boy was he wrong! :D

This car is more comfortable, can out accelerate, handle high speed corners, and has a higher top speed (Z rated :D ) than my brothers car and it is a hell of a lot heavier also. The only this he has on me is gas mileage and not by too much. 22 vs. 28 and his is a lot easier to drive in a parking lot but not by much also. It is also hard to check the blind spot right behind the drive because there is a big ass pillar right where I normally look.

After ridding in his car for so long I for got how much more stable the caddy is. His car you can tell when you are going over 80 I found my self doing almost 100MPh when I decided that it would be a good ideal to set the cruise.

Man I Love this car I think I am going to go for another ride. (it is about 1 am. :D )

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
gizmo200118