Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Cadillac deville sedan 1986 cadillac deville RIP
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put some 17x8 100 spoke daytons on my 86 sedan deville 4.1L and the reason for the cop pulling me over is he said my tires stuck too far out and I needed mud flaps. Or something to stop my tires from kicking up rocks. I know they don't make them for my car does anyone know where I can get some custom ones made or ideas on how I can make them.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,006 Posts
It's gonna be a custom cut job from AutoZone, Advance, or some large accessory dealer. RV shop maybe ?? It CAN be tastefully done, however.

Question: If your tires stick out too far, did you increase the wheel offset to move the tire/wheel further out of the wheel well ??? Because if you did, and the car is now "riding" further out on the wheel bearings there is now extra angular twist on the axle, and you're in for some seriously accelerated bearing and brake wear.

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac Fleetwood
37 Posts
Yeah a photo would help. My guess is that because the car has the wire wheel adapters, it pushes them out about an inch or two. My wires are 7inch wide, I don't see how x8 daytons would stick out that much.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah the braking is diffwerent ill post a pick later on tonight

·
Registered
1990 DeVille
181 Posts
Sorry, but if I were the cop I'd give you a ticket for aggravated tastelessness. GM spent a fortune developing a safe, reliable, comfortable, and high-performance suspension system and this modification flushes all that skill and investment down the toilet. You should forfeit your Cadillac emblems!

I suppose it would be safe under 30mph, with no bumps to apply bending moments beyond the strength of the original system.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well that's your opinion thanks I took it on the freeway no problem. So if you can help me with the mudflaps great if not then there is not point you giving your 2 cents. As for my emblems which ones you want the crest or the classic cadillac emblem on my grill...

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't get me wrong I love mu orginal hubcaps but I got tired of the rattle them spining contsantly getting loose and tearing up valve stems

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hard to find the factory alloys at a good price people want a arm and a leg and the 80s model is hard to get rims for

·
Registered
1990 Cadillac sedan devile
616 Posts
i like low riders as much as a any other person .but that is just ugly . hears a solution sell them and buy some that actually fit the car .

·
Registered
1996 Deville 1985 Fleetwood
74 Posts
Get some 14" spoke FWD rims so they can tuck in fender nicely, lol no wonder the cop pulled you over I used to have spoke lowrider rims on a lincoln and they were tucked in nicely and cops still would give me sh*t.

·
Registered
1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS
1,694 Posts
I don't think mub flaps are going to keep you from getting a ticket, unless your talking about a full fender flare like on an 4WD truck. Most laws do not allow a tire to extend beyond the widest part of the fender (some allow up to an inch), these look like they are about 3" beyond the fender at the top. Even if you put a mud flap behind the wheel your still going to get tickets for the tire extending beyond the edge of the fender.

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
$2K to $4K of body work to get the required fender flares custom fabricated and you'll be all set. Otherwise I'd ditch the Daytons and go back to stock.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,006 Posts
Read my first post concerning suspension and bearing wear.

Never, in my wildest imagination, did I think someone would do that to a car. That setup is truly butt-ugly. ......and dangerous.

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts
Sorry, but if I were the cop I'd give you a ticket for aggravated tastelessness. GM spent a fortune developing a safe, reliable, comfortable, and high-performance suspension system and this modification flushes all that skill and investment down the toilet. You should forfeit your Cadillac emblems!

I suppose it would be safe under 30mph, with no bumps to apply bending moments beyond the strength of the original system.

Oh so YEAH that ^^^ FTW...

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i read the post about the braking and the bearings. and i dont like the 13/14 spoke rims . there too small and the raduis of them is too small and my contiental kit is going to scratch the bottom of the kit. so thats one of the reasons why. also i didnt know about the mud flaps otherwise i woulda made some or got some. as for the orginals i put them back on but those darn hubcaps i have the orginals the turn and rattle and shake. then u have the special key you need to put them on and it takes forever and i need somethhing that fits in the fender. and doesnt rattle. one of the reason y they stuck out too far is the rims were deep dish so meaning the have a a big lip on the rims. so my goal was to sell them after seeing how much work its gonna take to create some mud flaps. other than the speed problem i didnt have any problems with safety issues driving them passs 30 mph. but the clearance from the top of the tire to the top of the wheel well was a bit of a concern to me.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts