Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac CTS
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no idea what's going on with my car.

I drove to work today and everything was fine; I parked it and never touched it till the end of my shift. I live in Canada so it was around -6 out (not sure if temperature will affect this) but my engine light came on and every now and then it'll flash while the car makes a vibrating feel. I have 111,164 kms on it, will that have anything to do with it?

I'm just very confused why it would be fine before 3:30pm but then show the check engine light at 3 am? :hmm:

please help.

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,479 Posts
How's the oil level? What engine do you have in your CTS?

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac CTS
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure. I hust got an oil change not too long ago and I have the 3.6L

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,479 Posts
Check it. At 69k I wouldn't suspect the plugs to be bad, an ignition coil could also be acting up. A flashing CEL indicates a severe misfire is being detected and the car should NOT be driven under these circumstances. When did the CEL start flashing? Do you hear any clattering from the engine when you start it? These engines control the timing with VVT (variable valve timing), this system relies on oil pressure to function properly, if the oil level gets low so the does the oil pressure, this will impact engine timing and cause misfires. Hopefully it's just a coil or spark plug though.

Just prepare yourself as the 3.6L is well-known for developing slack in the timing chain, causing symptoms just as you describe. Too bad you didn't get a 2007, their chains are covered by an extended factory warranty for 10y/120k.

12,778 Posts
D.mpr, I'm pleased to see curtc has been helping you on the thread, and I wanted to hop on quickly to give you the contact information for the Customer Service team nearest you. If you decide to involve Customer Service at any point, then you can find GM of Canada's phone hotline and online communications details at http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/corporate/about/contactus/overview.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac CTS
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Curtc, I brought it to my Cadillac dealership and he said it was a bad coil and its going to cost me $800. I'm prepared to pay for it. I just want my baby back

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,803 Posts
Curtc, I brought it to my Cadillac dealership and he said it was a bad coil and its going to cost me $800. I'm prepared to pay for it. I just want my baby back
Did he say which coil? I ask, because if it's either cylinder 5 or 6. Then you can save yourself $750 and do it yourself. It will take 5 minutes and one bolt. However, if the problem is in any other cylinder and you are able to work on cars yourself. Then you can still save $750, but it's a little more time consuming and it requires more bolts and nuts to remove.

KOT

·
Registered
Cadillac
258 Posts
Even at dealer prices, even if it is one of the cylinders that you have to remove the intake manifold to get the coil out (like said above, there are only 2 that you can get to without taking off your intake manifold), $800 is way too much. They are ripping you. I did mine myself, it's a hassle to get the intake manifold off, but the dealer knows how to do it better and it doesnt take them all that long. Even if they replace the coil with the original German Bosch part, and have to remove the intake manifold, this job shouldnt be over 300 bucks.

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
I have no idea what's going on with my car.

I drove to work today and everything was fine; I parked it and never touched it till the end of my shift. I live in Canada so it was around -6 out (not sure if temperature will affect this) but my engine light came on and every now and then it'll flash while the car makes a vibrating feel. I have 111,164 kms on it, will that have anything to do with it?

I'm just very confused why it would be fine before 3:30pm but then show the check engine light at 3 am? :hmm:

please help.
according to the weather network it is only -1 in Toronto today.

i also fear...timing chain and oil level.
other than that i can only recommend that you go to a Cadillac dealership and not a standard GM one for this type of warranty work. they have slightly different training and different techs specialize in certain engines and different jobs, however the 3.6 has made its way into a lot of other GM's now.

If you want a GM dealer that will treat you right fire me a PM, its in mississauga and i know a lot of the staff, its the only one i will deal with.
stay away from Hawley cadillac (if they were permitted to re-open) they left bolts missing from my car.....

·
Registered
06 CTS 3.6 (sold)
43 Posts
I had the same thing. It could be a coil, which you could replace it for a cheaper price, or add oil if it's low.

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac CTS
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks mike but I go to Wallace Cadillac in milton. The were the one that priced it. I do have a GM in my town but I heard they won't touch my car.

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,479 Posts
d.mpr said:
Thanks mike but I go to Wallace Cadillac in milton. The were the one that priced it. I do have a GM in my town but I heard they won't touch my car.
Any local GM dealer should be willing and able to work on any Cadillac, if not, then yes, take it somewhere else...quickly.

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L
67 Posts
Hey ghettomike, which Cadillac dealer are you referring to? I'm in Toronto as well, and I am yet to find an actually knowledgeable Cadillac dealer/mechanic. I do a lot of work on my own, but it's always good to know somebody.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts