Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright so I was on my way home from work today, going down this road by a big ski resort, and as I was going down this road, I see that this volvo wagon is coming out of this ski resort, and they're braking really hard, and they might come out into my lane. So to avoid them, I swerved, and in doing so I lost control of my car, it swerved left, then right, then back left then it swerved right, the whole time I'm trying to straighten it out, while it turns out I plow into this guard rail on the right side. I hit it with my right front corner. It's pretty bad looking:
The bumper is hanging down,
the hood is misaligned,
the grille is bent,
the headlight, and cornering lights are hanging there,
the bottom of the right front fender is hanging down,
the top of the right front fender is cracked.

Funny thing, the airbag never went off, and when I hit the guard rail, the horn honked for a second. And I dont have insurance to cover this, this will have to be paid for out of pocket. :(

The real ironic thing is that tomorrow I will have owned the car for a year.

Pics to come tomorrow

God I feel so bad....

Here are the pics, taken at 11:30 at night :/

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks dude, I dont know if I can repair it, I have absolutly no money right now, as I am already in debt for college. And insurance wont cover this because I never bought Collision insurance. if I havent bent the front frame (unibody), the repairs will have to paid for out of pocket, and if it costs more to fix it than the car is actually worth...well then I dont know what I would do......:nono:

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Holy shit dude, thats a cryin shame.....I feel bad for you.
Good thing is its mostly just cosmetic so you can keep drivin it while peicing back together.
I bet you can buy a bunch of parts out of a junk yard and fix it up yourself.
Sorry dude....that really blows.

·
Registered
1995 Sedan De Ville (4.9 L)
581 Posts
I feel very bad for you, too. But glad that it was not a bad accident, it could have been much worse.

It looks that damages didn't extend to major components, only cosmetic as powerglide said. I think you can just keep driving and try fixing it later as you get some money in future.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I'll know tomorrow what we're gonna do

·
Registered
'93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED
5,929 Posts
That's bad! Man, I feel for you. I'm really sorry. That's not gonna be cheap. Alot of seperate parts there. Credit card time.

·
Registered
1998 Cadillac Deville
484 Posts
The reason the airbag didn't go off is because the sensor is located near the middle and it doesn't look like you damaged the frame. If the frame was damaged usually it will deploy. This looks simlar to the damage that happened to my old 92, it was ruled totaled. Then again you don't have a cracked winshield (ours the side panel rode up and cracked it) and we had minor frame damage and the radiator was pushed back some.

It looks like the hood is repairable but the bumper, side panel, and grill look like they need to be replaced. If you can find a good body shop that knows you have to pay out of pocket they usually don't "try" to get you a high estimate.

I'd look into to seeing how much salvage parts cost, then again I'm not sure you would find new fenders for it so salvage and remanufactured are most likely the only roots. Best thing to is watch the paper and collision shops for someone who got in a rear-end collision and is either selling theirs or parting it out.

You can probibly find another similar Cadillac for less than 3 grand. If I recall yours was in good mechanical shape so its worth looking for the parts or It might be time to find a good used one at a dealer and find a way to get some nice low payments on a newer deville.

Its a sad day to see another 92' Devilles life shortened by non-mechanical means.

Sandy, this must really make you shutter since you have that one beauty in storage.

·
Registered
2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville
1,089 Posts
This would be classified as an accident that's THEIR fault. I hope you were able to get their insurance information. Did you call the cops?

·
Registered
'87 SDV
1,296 Posts
Sorry, man...just thank your lucky stars it was the bumper that broke and not your face.

In another post you were asking me about the Mark IV. Maybe it's time to think about hunting for one.

The 460 is a great motor, but by the mid 70s it was a declawed tiger - only about 180 horses. It did a fair job of pushing that big body around, but mileage was dismal, around 12/16. The ride is unmatched in a straight line, but they corner like a Chris Craft. Definitely not the choice if you want sports car handling. It's also rear wheel drive, bad in snow!

That cramped feeling inside is mostly due to the low window line and that mile long hood. I could fit six in my '76 very comfortably. Gotta tell you though, that dash lights up in the sweetest mellow green you've ever seen.

Anyway, too bad about the Cad.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well thanks guys for all the interest you've shown in this, it means a lot to me :)

Bharner, yes I did just put pics up of my car the other day, today is my 1 year anniversary of my ownership of the car

Sandy: thanks again for the support, I dont know what I am going to do about this, my father fixed the fender so it isn't hanging down anymore, and my uncle who was a mechanic at a chevy dealership is coming over tonight to look at it, and see if the frame is damaged at all.

Green Machine: I Dont know if we are going to repair this, or maybe it will cost more to fix than the car is actually worth, if it is, then I dont know what I am going to do. I would like to get another car but I have no money and I cannot finance this because all of my money is going towards college. I would like to have this be the final chapter in the deville story. Ever since I found out that my engine block is being corroded by the coolant, I have been trying to rid myself of it. I do not plan on dropping another motor in, theres too much work involved, and I dont really like my car that much.

thu: No, I didnt get their insurance info, nor did I call the cops. I'm not even sure if they came out into my lane, by the time that they would have gotten into my lane, I had lost control of my car and was trying to regain control, So I never saw if they stopped or not. As terrible as this sounds, maybe I should have hit that car so their insurance would have covered it, but there were like 3 kids in that car and I couldnt live with myself if I hit them.

Noahsdad: As much as I would love to get a big Mark IV right now, It's just not practical to have a car that gets 12mpg when I am going through college, and it lacks many modern amenities (ABS,Airbags) It would be a great weekend cruiser, but a terrible daily driver at my age. But on the other hand, it would have withstood that collision a hell of a lot better than my car did. You can thank the chrome bumpers, and STEEL fenders for that. That car is built like a tank and I want a car thats built like a tank. What I'm thinking right now, is that if I have to get a new car, I want something that is full frame and has chrome bumpers with no plastic body panels. The Mark IV has this, but in excess. My ideal choice is a late '80s Town Car or a early '90s Brougham. They are both very solidly built with very few plastic parts, and they can stand up to a collision very well, and they are very very reliable, and they are dirt cheap (especially the Town Car) they arent very fuel efficent, but I have gotten used to gas hogs, but they are much more modern, and fuel efficent than a Mark IV is. But the Mark IV is still a better car IMO.

If I get a new car, my parents probably wont let me have a T/C or Brougham due to the V8 and the sheer size. What would be the most logical choice now is something with a 3800 V6, it's built pretty much the same as my deville, but its much more fuel efficent. I dont want a small car like a Honda Accord after seeing what damage my "large" deville took. IF I can get a new car, and thats a big if, my parents would probably pay for it, and I dont know how much they wanna spend. There are a lot of decent '80s Town Cars around here for under $2000, and there are not a lot of good 3800 powered cars for that cheap.

Thanks again you guys :)

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
One nice thing about owning that vintage of Caddy is that you can get spare parts from the local junkyard for cheap. As long as the body ain't tweaked (bent unibody), it's just a bunch of parts replacement. However, it could be a lot of work and you might not get the same color panels.

Greenmachine has a good suggestion - buy another one. I've seen them around here for $2k. That is getting VERY close to the repair cost even if you did it yourself. You'd then have TWO Caddies, one for spares.

I wonder how close the 1992 is to the 1993. I have a 1993 FSM and the cover says it's for the 1992 AND 1993. Reason why I bring this up is that my 1993 is just sitting parked and I'm looking for a good home for it. Body is in excellent condition.

·
Registered
'87 SDV
1,296 Posts
Hang in there bud. In your position, a 3800 equipped C-body Buick or Olds might just be the ticket. You can pick them up for a song, and some (like the Park Avenue or Ninety-Eight) ride just about as nice as your Cadillac. My mom has a '91 LeSabre with 238K on it and it still runs like a watch. She puts in gas, has some joker change the oil three times a year, and drives. I'd have no hesitation about hopping in that car and driving a thousand miles from home. I hear ya on the dilemma of too much investment. With the corroded block and bent up sheet metal, your Cad might be better off in the scrapyard (may the purist gods forgive me for that). Go to college, party, hang out with hot chicks for four years. There'll be pleny of Cadillacs left out here when you're done.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hahaha thanks you guys! :D This has really made me feel better to write about this and see what you guys sat!

I got the estimate for repair today back from a trusted body shop (we've seen them 4 times this year :shocked2:
The cheapest estimate they can give me is $4231.24!!!!
This is with many salvage parts, they couldn't find a used hood, so that would cost $741 dollars. Basically,the parts are going to cost me around $2500, and labor is $1500 before tax and that stuff. If I got the salvage parts installed, and didnt get them repainted, that would cost $733 less.

I suppose I could go the junkyard do it yourself route, but I dont have the time or talent. No one in my family is a good body person, and I need a car immedietaly.

I'm pretty sure my dad is gonna have me get rid of the car, and somehow i'm gonna end up gettin something else. A C-Body Park Ave or Ninety Eight would be my first choice, due to the reliabilty, efficency, and luxurious design. And a Town Car or Brougham would be my second choice due to it being so strong, reliable, luxurious and durable. They're built to last, and the only real bad thing about them is how much of a hog they are. But I would feel very safe behind the wheel of a 4000lb beast. My 3rd choice is something like a early '90s Accord. I like those because they are so simple and efficent, not to mention reliable.
The order of cars for my parents:
-Accord
-Ninety Eight/Park Ave

-Town Car/Brougham

Would anyone on here consider purchasing my car as a parts car?? I havent decided on what I wanna do with it yet, If we choose not to fix it, I would like to sell it before I junk it. Because scrapping it would break my heart :(

We'll know tonight what's going on! I'll let ya know!

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Heres some pics I took in the daylight, my dad sort of fixed the fender

·
Registered
2010 CTS (Elvis) 1964 Impala (Betty) 1991 Miata (Dolly)
14,333 Posts
Damn, Chad, that's a shame. Such a nice car, too. And here you were trying to avoid hitting somebody. Talk about no good dead going unpunished. :rant2:

Sorry to hear the repair cost will be so high; with the coolant leak, the car is probably not worth fixing.

I'd look into adopting Thu's '93 DeVille. The fact that he's a pilot (the pilots I know are very meticulous about all their machinery) and has a FSM tells me that car has been well cared-for.

If you do end up parting out your DeVille, I'd be interested in your radio. Does the tape player work? Mine doesn't and it will turn itself off randomly at times. I'd be interested in a center cap too (so I'd have a spare).

Good luck; keep us posted.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
powerglide, I would like to keep the medallion, and all ornaments/Cadillac script. About thu's '93 SDV, I may consider it, but after the problems I've had, I dont know if I want another 4.9 car. Yes my cassette player does still work, and if i do part it out, i'll let you guys know :)

thu: Tell me about your 93 SDV. What are the colors, does it have leather, what options does it have? Are the electronic struts in good condition? How many miles, is the car in good condition? What has been done to it? What does it need?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
As for my '93, it needs tranny work. It went south. 298,000 miles on it and the engine is still going strong. Body is in excellent condition. So is the interior except for the driver's seat which shows wear. Engine doesn't have crud on it as I scrub it from time to time. No squeaks or rattles. They drive me crazy.

It's dark grey with a light grey interior. 100% stock.

Indeed, like gdwriter said, I maintained this car like it was an airplane.

If you don't want to fix the tranny, you might consider my 93 Deville for a parts car. I *love* my 93 and if it didn't cost $2500 to rebuild the tranny, I'd still be driving it. However, if your tranny is still good, you might consider swapping, but you mentioned that you aren't proficient at car work and don't have the time.

However......you and I live about 1000 miles apart. You might be better served if you started the hunt for another 92 or 93 Deville. In all likelihood, it would make more sense than fixing your crashed 92 even with parts from my 93.

Still, I'd look at cars.com and see if there's a 92 or 93 for sale somewhere. These cars are such a great buy, I'd encourage you to look for one somewhere and maybe your and your Dad can make a fun road trip to get it.

I punched in 55120 for your zip and picked a 93 Deville within 250 miles and it pulled up eight of them.

There's one in St. Paul, MN for $1,795. A 1993 red Deville with 136,000 on it. It's at a dealer, so maybe you can drive your crashed '92 there and get a trade-in of some kind. Or, you can keep your current Deville for parts!

I plugged in 1992 Deville on cars.com and got nine hits. There's one for $1200 192 miles from you.

I'd love to sell my 93 to a good home that would fix the tranny or use it to keep another Deville on the road and I'm asking only a few hundred for it as the tires are almost new. However, I don't think this is a good idea for you in terms of money and, especially, time. I'm encouraging you to look for another Deville that's closer to where you live.

I used cars.com to find my 2003 STS. It's great. I found mine 100 miles from where I live. I'd encourage you to buy another 92 or 93 Deville, preferably one that's close to you. These cars are great, as you already know and you'll also have a parts car to boot.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts