Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
'05 LS6 V Stealth Grey; '14 Z71 SLT Sierra 1500 Stealth Grey
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I found this out by accident. My garage isn't level and as I was struggling to find reverse I either let go of the brake with my right foot or disengaged the e brake and my car slightly rolled backward. At this time, the gear syncronized and I was in gear with no more struggles. Just yesterday I was fighting with the shifter and the parking spot I was in allowed me to roll slightly and poof again I was in gear. At times it can be quite frustraiting trying to get in either first or reverse. Hopefully this can help.

·
Registered
2017 Camaro ZL1; 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2004 Lightning
12,007 Posts
Yeah, I've seen this happen in more than one car. Weird. Similarly weird is when you can't get it into first, but you can get it into second and move the car just a bit, then you can get it into first.

·
Registered
05 maggied CTS-V, 2017 NSX Whoo Hoo!
8,810 Posts
What I hate is watching someone try to force it into gear, like the service guy who was moving my car the other day (he killed it also). :banghead:

Brute force trumps finese (unless you bend/break it).

Sometimes you have to use a different gear to get it to go into the gear you want (first or reverse) or move the car (rarely).

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)
17,712 Posts
Just a matter of lining up the shift fork properly. Since there are no syncro's in reverse (good thing) sometimes it won't go in. If it won't go into Reverse, then I try first, if it won't go into first then second, once in second the fork is lined up and it should drop into reverse. This is a reflex for me now and it works most if not all of the time.

I don't even think about it now so I might have the gears listed above wrong but basically the shift into another gear then into reverse.

Learned this from (man I hate to admit this) the '66 bug I had when I was young. No sycro's in reverse or 1'st so I had to do this to get it into first all of the time. As a matter of fact, when I pushed in the clutch I would throw it into second, third or fourth (I forget which) then first.

Somebody is going to butcher me for this post and I probably deserve it, should have my facts straight but hopefully you get the idea.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
I park in front of a steel garage door and I have always been afraid that I would "dent" the garage door if I hit with the V. Because of that I always leave my V reverse when parked. It also means that I don't have to search for reverse with a cold drivetrain.

·
Registered
'05 LS6 V Stealth Grey; '14 Z71 SLT Sierra 1500 Stealth Grey
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've mad it a habit to always put it in second before putting it in 1st. Sometimes I've found if you release the clutch and press it in again that makes it easier. Believe me, when its giving me problems I put it in every gear to try and sync it together.

·
Registered
2005 Black CTS-V
500 Posts
I either double pump the petal or put it in 3rd (always goes into that) and then I can shift fine in any other gear.. I've said this before, but BOTH of my C5 Vettes were like this as well...

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
12 Posts
This is probably a really stupid question, but I have always wondered why the owner's manual (yes, I am one of the losers that reads the manual) says you are supposed to leave the vehicle in reverse when parked? Is there some standard purpose for this?

I usually leave it in first because it is the most natural. Should I be putting it in reverse?

Todd

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
This is probably a really stupid question, but I have always wondered why the owner's manual (yes, I am one of the losers that reads the manual) says you are supposed to leave the vehicle in reverse when parked? Is there some standard purpose for this?

I usually leave it in first because it is the most natural. Should I be putting it in reverse?

Todd
Reverse is usually the lowest gear, ratio-wise, which translates into the highest resistance to rolling.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts