Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it turns out after spending 600 bucks on new parts and dumb stuff i plugged the distributor vacuum advance line, turned up the idel and she runs perficet. now i just need to figure out if someone hooked the vacuums up wrong or what. thanks for putting up with me guys!

·
Registered
'80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe
2,096 Posts
It isn't over yet. Make sure the distributor diaphragm holds vacuum. If it leaks then replace it. Check timing according to directions for your exact year. This is very important. Timing gets set at something like 1400 RPM IIRC. Your gas mileage will not be anywhere where it could be without this stuff working properly.
Good to hear that you did make some progress.
These engines will build up crap on the intake valve stems under normal use. The situation is even worse when things are out of adjustment. A transmission fluid engine cleaning or Seafoam (which might be the same thing as trans fluid for all I know) can make quit a difference in idle and part throttle performance.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i should check that diaphram out i guess. the timing was set perfect a few weeks back and everything cleaned out. the only thing i need to do is lean out the idel gas screws... its running very rich.

K

·
0 Posts
I second the Sea Foam. I prefer to use B-12 Chemtool for all out cleaning though. Sea Foam is a great cleaner conditioner. B-12 is more like paint stripper in your gas tank. It works! ALL people I tell about B-12 come back with more than positive results. Most after the first time driving after using it. These are more sensitive FI engines though. Then stay away from cheap gas, it really does junk up your engine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts