Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo...While trying to determine why my coolant fan wasn't coming on I stupidly put 12v to the Coolant Temp Sensor connector. There was a spark and I knew that was not good. Turned the key to 'run' and the fan came on, the 'Service Engine Soon' indicator came on AND the trans would not shift..... until I ran the RPM's up. Codes showed a coolant temp problem. I finally bit the bullet and bought a reconditioned ECM ( Electronic Control Module) after tracing the wire I sparked to the ECM. I got a price of $180 from Cadillac and $90 from Discount Auto. Picked up the Discount Auto unit as they said they would take the unit back if not installed or it failed. Cadillac said there were "NO" returns on electrical components. I put the ECM in and ALL problems were resolved! WHEW!!!!! Be careful when trouble shooting electrical problems in your cars. If applying 12v to make a part work remove the source wire if there is any possibility it originates from a computer module.
This is one great place to find info. Got many feedbacks from my original plea for help. Also ..I was able to read the part number off my ECM the go the 'Google' and type in only the part number. Got schematics, code information, and procedures for extracting codes.
Oh Yes!!! The original problem with the fan not running turned out to be a corroded legs on the fan relay. Cleaned them up and all is fine. If you haven't looked .....check under the black plastic panel on the front side of the driver side strut. There are relays and fuses that are not normally noticed. There are also good descriptions of there functions under this panel. 2 Plastic clips hold it in place. Take a look!!
Later.........Tony

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
can i get that part number from you for future reference

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Great information....... I guess after 11 years of use, even electrical computer devices get tired......

1 - 3 of 3 Posts