Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all...I don't want to sound like a whining nancy boy, but I'm sure some of you will flame me anyway :) That said, my car was send back to the dealer to have the bushing squeak stopped (the lubed them) and...guess what...it's SQUEAKING AGAIN. Not even a week. Its just as bad as it was. Yes I could turn up the stereo and all that, but I don't want to. I bought this car because I thought it would be good to go all the way around. That said, this squeak is REALLY beating me up on my daily commute. Has anyone found a TSB for the TSB that causes this. I gotta' find a solution or the car goes. I love cars that much and its just THAT important to me that it be exactly the way I like it. And yes, I know spectre makes bushings but I don't want to void my warranty. Any advice or has anyone else fixed this problem sucessfully without voiding their warranty?

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
You whiny nancy boy.

:D

Just kidding. The only real fix for the squeak is to pull them out. I can't hear mine anymore over my iPod, Kooks and Corsa, but it was annoying. Lubing them is temporary at best, so if you want it gone- yank 'em out.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS-V
389 Posts
I don't have the squeak (of course I just jinxxed myself) but I've got some really good synthetic grease that I use on the suspension bushings of my quad, and it seems to be much better than most regular automotive stuff on the market. I packed it in the bushings for the adjustable rear sway bar of the WRX I traded in on the V and it never squeaked again. (was pretty bad before that) Any lubricant that can survive New England winters has got to be pretty good.

Quads have to go through some hellish conditions, including submersion in water, so the good lubricants purpose-built for them are pretty good at staying around. :)

If you don't mind doing it yourself, you might want to run down to your local dirt bike or quad dealer and pick up some of the most expensive synthetic grease you can find...

Back in my old 5-liter days, when Polyurethane bushings were relatively new for suspension pieces, I know alot of guys used to drill their bushings and install grease zerks too, and in some cases cut channels in the bushings to allow it to spread around inside.

Yes, you shouldn't have to do any of this stuff, but if the alternative is getting rid of the car...

-B

·
Registered
Cadillac
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok...just so I get an understanding, are the GM bushings supplemental to the standard bushings or do they take the old bushing out and put new ones in?

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
13,987 Posts
I'm not even sure what the OEM ones look like. But, when I installed the Specter bushings and removed the TSB bushings, there weren't any additional bushings in there, so I would say they removed the originals (whatever they were) to add the TSB ones.

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
No wonder I have to stay around this place...

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/bushinginstall/index.html

Great write up of the proper way to install the bushings. Note the bushing size/shape. The GM versions that I have seen are white plastic of a similar shape to the Specter versions shown in the article above. I post this primarily for rand49er so he can be sure that he installed his placebos at all :D

WW

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
800 Posts
No wonder I have to stay around this place...

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/bushinginstall/index.html

Great write up of the proper way to install the bushings. Note the bushing size/shape. The GM versions that I have seen are white plastic of a similar shape to the Spectre versions shown in the article above. I post this primarily for rand49er so he can be sure that he installed his placebos at all :D

WW
OMG talk about your weekend project. Is that what they have to do just to relube the TSB bushings also? if so no wonder they hate me everytime I bring it in for squeeking.

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Actually, no. You don't even have to go through all of that to install the bushings (I didn't). You can just loosen things up and squirt lube in there, prying the bushings up and around with a screwdriver so you coat it all.

The Specter's in my car don't squeak, and were never lubed. I believe the GM units (which I had, and are still in the bottom of my tool box) squeak because they are not a tight fit and can move around too much, allowing dirt/contaminents in between.

WW

1 - 10 of 10 Posts