Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently posted some concerns about my new '14 ATS, primarily that the base seats dont have tilt on the bottom section, and that the driver side floor, or footwell is downward sloped.

After 2 weeks in my ATS, the foot positioning is absolutely killing me. I am horribly uncomfortable after maybe 15 min of driving. It's actually causing me to consider a trade-in, which would be aweful because i love this car.

the downward slop is definitely not a natural position for me.

Do you rest your heels on the slope? (This causes my feet to slide downward, and excessive pressure on my heel)
Do you rest your feet at the bottom of the slope? (This places my heel right at the base of the pedal, and in size 13's it causes excessive pressure on the pedal)
Do you rest your feet above the slope? (This is just awkward, my feet are too far to comfortably reach pedals)

Ive tried all manner of resting my feet sideways and wearing different shoes etc.

I just have never seen a vehicle that didnt have a flat, horizontal floor to rest your feet on, its crazy to me.

I'm hoping someone has a great suggestion so i can fall back in love with my ATS.

·
Registered
'13 ATS4 2.0T, Gone but will be missed, '13 SRX4 Performance
473 Posts
I'm right there with you. I have a base '13 model and there is no place for my feet with cruise turned on. The seat bottom definitely needs an angle adjustment. I've modified seat frames on a few of my vehicles so I'm up to the challenge. For me, the front of the seat bottom needs to be raised. The problem with the ATS is that the front of the seat frame hooks into the floor. The rear is bolted down. It would be easy to raise the rear but not the front. I'm thinking of machining an adapter for the front to add some lift, but how much needs to be determined.

·
Registered
Current 2014 red CTS Vsport/ Black Raven 2013 3.6 ATS4 gone
3,513 Posts
I had some problems with my feet as well for awhile but my feet got used to it. I even had problems with my toes getting caught up top when pressing the gas. But with the bottom seat adjustment I have found the sweet spot. I wear a 13 or 14 shoe depending on brand so I feel ya.If my seats didn't have tilt there would be a real problem though.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had some problems with my feet as well for awhile but my feet got used to it. I even had problems with my toes getting caught up top when pressing the gas. But with the bottom seat adjustment I have found the sweet spot. I wear a 13 or 14 shoe depending on brand so I feel ya.If my seats didn't have tilt there would be a real problem though.
I have performance trim seats, so cannot really relate. However, the left side foot rest is perfect for me as is the seating position. I am 6 foot.

What utterly surprised me is how small in both width and depth the XTS driver's foot well is. My parents have one and I've driven it for hours. It's uncomfortable, no matter the trim. My foot cannot even fit on the left rest and I feel cramped overall. That's in a car almost double the size of the ATS.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
I don't know maybe find a luxury trim seat or higher trim adjustable from salvage and make it work in yours. Or get another car. Tell your dealer and see if they can help with this. Tell them you will get rid of it if you can't get this resolved. It's causing pain in your feet.
This is about where I'm at. It's a big problem for me and I'm not seeing any good options :(

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
2,663 Posts
From your description that does sound painful. Maybe a angled rubber wedge under a floor mat to provide a level surface for you would help? Otherwise upgrading the seat, possibly from a totaled ATS with higher trim level, would be cheaper than the trade-in loss you would suffer.

The seat style must make a lot of difference. I have a 2014 premium trim and recently made a couple of 820 mile single day drives and found the seating/foot placement very comfortable.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T Lux, 2017 MB C300 Coupe
997 Posts
It's not so much that my feet are uncomfortable (actually no problem there,) but it is the lack of being able to position the bottom seat that is my issue in my 2013 Lux. My mistake in that when I bought the car, I never thought about the seat adjustments...just assumed that a Caddy would have good seat controls. Well, how wrong I was in that Caddy went cheapo on not giving us the ability to fully control the bottom seat (i.e., can't fully adjust the angle of the bottom seat.) So, as I unfortunately found out it is difficult to get good thigh support without angling the bottom seat. Guess I learned my lesson...no matter which level of car you buy, check out everything, make no assumptions about anything. Live and learn...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
flycaster said:
It's not so much that my feet are uncomfortable (actually no problem there,) but it is the lack of being able to position the bottom seat that is my issue in my 2013 Lux. My mistake in that when I bought the car, I never thought about the seat adjustments...just assumed that a Caddy would have good seat controls. Well, how wrong I was in that Caddy went cheapo on not giving us the ability to fully control the bottom seat (i.e., can't fully adjust the angle of the bottom seat.) So, as I unfortunately found out it is difficult to get good thigh support without angling the bottom seat. Guess I learned my lesson...no matter which level of car you buy, check out everything, make no assumptions about anything. Live and learn...
This is spot on how I feel. My expectations caused me to make some poor assumptions

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,631 Posts
I don't have a base, but doesn't the base driver's seat have a seat front raise/lower and a another raise/lower for the back of the seat? If so, you can change the angle (tilt) by adjusting those. Granted that would be a lot less convenient since every adjustment would also change the height of the middle of the seat forcing you to play with both ends to get the height and tilt you desire.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T Lux, 2017 MB C300 Coupe
997 Posts
I don't have a base, but doesn't the base driver's seat have a seat front raise/lower and a another raise/lower for the back of the seat? If so, you can change the angle (tilt) by adjusting those. Granted that would be a lot less convenient since every adjustment would also change the height of the middle of the seat forcing you to play with both ends to get the height and tilt you desire.
Hey HD, I wish you were right. Don't know about the Base model, but I think it would be safe to assume (there I go again) that if the Lux doesn't have this bottom seat angle adjustment, then the lower priced Base wouldn't either...

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,631 Posts
Hey HD, I wish you were right. Don't know about the Base model, but I think it would be safe to assume (there I go again) that if the Lux doesn't have this bottom seat angle adjustment, then the lower priced Base wouldn't either...
I meant Luxury. Can you raise and lower just the front of your seat? Can you raise or lower just the back of your seat? If so you then can the seat bottom, although it is more difficult because it takes a combinations of adjustments to change the tilt while maintaining a desired height. And of course you would then also need to tilt the back separately if you wanted the same seat/back angle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I meant Luxury. Can you raise and lower just the front of your seat? Can you raise or lower just the back of your seat? If so you then can the seat bottom, although it is more difficult because it takes a combinations of adjustments to change the tilt while maintaining a desired height. And of course you would then also need to tilt the back separately if you wanted the same seat/back angle.
unfortunately no, the seat moves up and down in its entirety along with forward/backward seat, forward/backward back and lumbar inflate/deflate.

I believe those are the 8 ways on the 8 way seating.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Alright I'm lost here. My Lux seat adjust at an angle up or down not just the whole seat moving up and down. Or is that what everyone is saying? No thigh bolster adjusting. My 745 had the thigh bolster movement forward or backward but no tilt in the bolster it's self.. Maybe I'm reading wrong . If I tilt the front of the seat the bottom back stays the same. The premiums have the bolster movement up and down and out and in?

----------

Yours doesn't tilt? just whole seat up and down? My seats go up and down for height and still tilts at the thigh bolster. Yours does not? Like I said guy's I'm lost on this one.
unfortunately no, the seat moves up and down in its entirety along with forward/backward seat, forward/backward back and lumbar inflate/deflate.

I believe those are the 8 ways on the 8 way seating.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Oh I understand that part. But people are saying that the Lux they have the seat go up and down no tilt at thigh bolster so I'm lost. But I might be reading wrong. Does the premium have more than 8 position seats?I had one for a loaner and don't remember.
I think from luxury trim on up 8-way seats are standard. Not available on the base model.
----------

Does your Lux seat angle up and down at the thighs? And the bottom back stay where it is ? Or the whole seat just moves up and down?

·
Registered
2019 Mercedes E450 Cabriolet, previous 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD, 1973 Corvette 454
2,363 Posts
Does the premium have more than 8 position seats?I had one for a loaner and don't remember.
My Premium has 12 way seating on driver's side and 10 way on passengers. Seating adjustment is very flexible and comfortable along with booster seat settings.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts