Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2014 XTS Vsport Premium
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I've had the car for about a month now, my biggest gripe has been brakes. This thing was absolutely terrifying to slow down, on par with my old Jeep CJ5 that had 4-wheel drums and no power assist. The pedal just had nothing in it. When I bought it, the dealer had done a pad slap on it but the rotors were the original ones from 2014 and the brake fluid looked like black tea.

I got a set of Raybestos high carbon rotors with black painted hats and Bosch quietcast ceramic pads after some researching as well as a couple of bottles of DOT4 synthetic brake fluid I had on hand. Started with pulling out all the fluid in the reservoir and refilling and then bleeding all 4 corners until it ran clean. It took about 2 quarts to get the fluid nice and golden instead of nasty brown.

Once I finished swapping out the rotors and pads, I went and bedded them in the way I usually do. 5 stops from 45 to 15 at a moderate pedal pressure and then 8-10 stops from 60 to 15 with aggressive (just before ABS kicks in) pressure, then cruise for about 20 minutes without braking to let it cool. Boy did it stink like pads for a minute but it seems to have worked quite well. The rotors have a nice heat tempered blue hue to them and the brakes work wonderfully, night and day compared to before. Very firm pedal and it stops like it means business now.

Only thing I'm not happy with is the calipers look quite bad, I think I will have to paint them eventually~

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2014 XTS Vsport Premium
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so how did you bleed the ABS? ........ its important....
Doing it this simple way gets probably 90% of the fluid in the ABS module, but anything in the actuators is probably missed. For doing it at home, its ok as far as I'm concerned. The scan tools I have don't to OEM data so I can't run the ABS manually and cycle it out, so it is what it is. As long as no air gets into it there is no problem.

·
Registered
2014 XTS Vsport Premium
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think the brakes on the XTS are pretty good. I'm actually doing a full XTS caliper and brake conversion onto my 2010 Saab 9-5 as well. All bolts right up.
I mean, they stop the car which is good. But as far as the pedal feel and how the brakes come on as you ramp up pressure, this thing is so weird. I had the same exact caliper setup on my 2014 Malibu (I converted the front to the 4-piston brembos) and it stopped so hard it would pull your face off if you got into the pedal.

I suspect you'll feel something very similar when you get done with your conversion on the Saab, to me this car has linear braking force regardless of what you do with the pedal until just before ABS activates and it does not inspire confidence. I'm thinking it was engineered to be this way on purpose for its target demographic. Much better now with new rotors, fluid, and more aggressive pads but still catches me off guard once in a while.

This is all just my opinion of course and I like the car very much overall but nothing is perfect :giggle:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts