·
Registered
1987 Cadillac Brougham.
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Steering wheel

\
63,000 miles, a small dent in the trunk from being rear ended years ago but no mechanical damage. The frame is spotless, the body is beautiful, the interior is a work of art, and it only cost me $4,400!!! Took a mechanic with me to look at it and he couldn't find anything that was just plain wrong with it, met up with the seller today and did all the paperwork and moneys.

Has an 5.0L Oldsmobile 307 inside it, so it should last a bit before I need to do big major work. Its not perfect, has flaws, going to need some work, but the important stuff works perfectly. Wish me luck, and send some Mojo!! Just turned 18 a month ago and this is my very first car!

·
Super Moderator
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
15,745 Posts
Sweet, congratulations!

Now get it out of the sun before the dashpad cracks. :)

·
Registered
96 FWB
3,606 Posts
Well, quite the score. It almost looks like someone kept it waiting for you to give it a new home. Take care.

Reactions: Phil3

·
Registered
70 Deville 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
1,164 Posts
Very nice car. Nothing rides like a full frame car. It will spoil you. Those are my favorite Cadillac seats too because they are comfy and so easy to slide in and out of the car. If you don't drive it like I drove when I was 18 it will last a long long time as is.

·
Registered
'84 Eldorado and Seville
1,961 Posts
$4,400, who passed away and their kids sold it? Guess they didn't know the going used car prices, more like $44,000. LOL
Good find and more like what a realistic asking price should be. Yeah they all need some love and repairs done. You will like the ride. The seats look to be very well taken care of. Give it a good exterior paint wax job. Lacquer paint from that era is subject to paint checking if it isn't protected especially from the sun.

·
Registered
2008 Escalade Sport, 2018 Escalade Luxury & 2018 Camry Hybrid XLE
2,069 Posts
Good luck with the girlies with the couch on wheels. Now you need a sound system and some tints. My first car was a 1993 pearl white 4 door Acura Legend in 1996 w/ 20k when I was 17. Man did I have fun in that car and drove it almost 220k miles.

My number one advice is: Don’t let anyone drive it, even with you in the passenger seat.

Keep a spare key either in a magnet or whatever works for you.

Get full coverage insurance

Install a tracker with a backup battery.

Wax it every 6 months

Always keep your tires in good shape including the spare.

I would consider installing a TPMS system.

Get a rear view mirror with camera and park assist.

Get an alarm system with auto pager.

I am not trying to be a parent here but I am basing this on my mistakes that costed me friends and money.

·
Registered
96 FWB
3,606 Posts
Nice find, you are a lucky young man! My first car was a 1957 Ford 2 door Hardtop. Bought @ 1965, paid $75.

Tom
Ha! Funny story while we're waiting for OP to get his pics back from developing. ;)
My first car was a '57 Chevy wagon, and no not a Nomad. It was the cheapest GM in the newspaper that weekend. My GF at the time's older sis had to co-sign the Bill of Sale, and I parked it on the street in front of their house for the night. The next morning it's full-on dead so I hitchhike to Western Auto to buy a battery. Upon return, the car is already hooked up and the cop said he'll wave the ticket for no plates, but I might be able to pay the tow driver "a little something - try 50" to unhook without a bigger ransom at the lot.

Recapping, the new battery and the greased palm was exactly the same $75 as what I paid for the car 18 hours earlier.

• Wow

·
Registered
CURRENT: 1978 White CDV
63 Posts
Love it! Congrats, you aren't thinking of this right now but this car will be embedded with you for the rest of your life. It's your first and your high school car- as dumb as it sounds it makes an impression. Mine was a 78 CDV when I was 17 and now 20 years + 2 moves in/out of NYC later, I got another because of that original bond.

Enjoy it- looks like you scored a nice one inside and out. You knew to stay away from the early to mid 80's engines lol. you're already on your way

·
Registered
1987 Cadillac Brougham.
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yo Phil3, what happening? You driving that beast or what?
Yes and no. Runs good when it runs, stalls when it idles, so I'm working on that right now. Radiator has a leak. Gonna get some of that radiator leak sealing stuff, if that doesn't work I'll just have to replace the radiator. Oh well, no big deal.

Big problem right now is that it stalls when it idles, sometimes it doesn't want to start. Going to check spark plugs, going to check throttle linkage, if all else fails I might try raising the idle RPM on the carb. We'll see. I'm not driving it too much right now, but it doesn't have any major major issues as far as I can tell, just a matter of solving the idle stalling and getting some routine maintinance done. Fingers crossed its not a fuel issue, that would be a pain in the arse. But its a process.

·
Registered
96 FWB
3,606 Posts
Yes and no. Runs good when it runs, stalls when it idles, so I'm working on that right now. Radiator has a leak. Gonna get some of that radiator leak sealing stuff, if that doesn't work I'll just have to replace the radiator. Oh well, no big deal.

Big problem right now is that it stalls when it idles, sometimes it doesn't want to start. Going to check spark plugs, going to check throttle linkage, if all else fails I might try raising the idle RPM on the carb. We'll see. I'm not driving it too much right now, but it doesn't have any major major issues as far as I can tell, just a matter of solving the idle stalling and getting some routine maintinance done. Fingers crossed its not a fuel issue, that would be a pain in the arse. But its a process.
Sorry, no one 'checks' 35-year old+ plugs; they replace them. Along with new wires. And a complete tune-up for the entire distributor. It's Sun. evening and a real good idea to not mess with idles or linkages or anything until the start of the normal week in the morn.

·
Super Moderator
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
15,745 Posts
Radiator has a leak. Gonna get some of that radiator leak sealing stuff, if that doesn't work I'll just have to replace the radiator. Oh well, no big deal.
No. No. NO!

Absolutely do not purchase any stop leak type snake oil products.
If the rad is leaking, replace it. Do not subject the cooling system to any quick fix gimmicks in a bottle or you'll end up with bigger problems on your hands.

·
Registered
1987 Cadillac Brougham.
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry, no one 'checks' 35-year old+ plugs; they replace them. Along with new wires. And a complete tune-up for the entire distributor. It's Sun. evening and a real good idea to not mess with idles or linkages or anything until the start of the normal week in the morn.
Replaced distributer cap and rotor the other day. And yes I'm going to check a plug before I buy new ones, if they don't look worn they may have been replaced by rhe previous owner. Unlikely, but we'll see.

No. No. NO!

Absolutely do not purchase any stop leak type snake oil products.
If the rad is leaking, replace it. Do not subject the cooling system to any quick fix gimmicks in a bottle or you'll end up with bigger problems on your hands.
Fair. Well Im plannig on swapping the radiator at some point regardless.

·
Registered
Cadillac
1,949 Posts
Easy check, too, is the timing. Befriend someone with an old timing light if you don't have. Gently tightening the carb mounting bolts (very gently) and checking other vacuum leaks and ensuring the timing/idle is good is a great starting point. Rock on!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts