Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2002 Seville STS F55, 2006 Mazda Miata
22,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...not for me. For a friend, acting on his behalf as an agent.

2001 300M, garnet red with just under 100k

Salesman putting the dealer plate on

300M badge, chrome wheels

Lenses need some cleaning

Sunroof

Plenty of tread

Heated memory seats

Two-tone interior

Ample rear seat room

Bright red ATF

Beautiful gauges

Four-disc in-dash changer

Analog clock

Picture from inside my Q

Loose bit of carpet

·
Super Moderator
22,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Small scratch

Chrysler Autostick

Video 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qORvH8mirRI
Video 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS1TA2P0nyE
Video 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB9epS1jR70

Acceleration: 8/10 -- Lots of power from 0-85. Doesn't have the amazing 60-100 of the VH45, Northstar, or Intech V8, but being a 3.5L V6, it shouldn't. Behaves like a small V8 around town and makes a deep, sophisticated growl.

Braking: 8/10 -- Stops with assurance. Doesn't have the bite of a BMW or Infiniti, but stopping distance is brief and modulation is predictable and easy.

Comfort: 9/10 -- Seats are adequately cushioned with just enough support for long drives. Wish there was more side bolstering. Heated option works well.

Features: 8/10 -- Moonroof, four-disc in-dash CD, overhead display with DTE, MPG, trip, etc. Nothing amazing in terms of features, but still more or less has "everything"

Ride: 9/10 -- Firm enough to maintain control with just enough squish to numb the jolts.

Steering/Handling: 8/10 -- Reasonably quick steering and surprisingly stable and sure-footed handling.

$8300 out the door with a full tank of gas. I put a $100 deposit on it this afternoon and will be picking it up Tuesday. Its also a one-owner local car, previously driven by an older woman (really) and traded in. Autocheck report comes up sparkling clean.

I get to take this across the country for delivery. w00t!!!

·
Registered
2007 E92 BMW 335i
10,761 Posts
Nice, I always thought the 300M was a pretty decent, pretty good looking car. Especially the 300M special.

·
Auto Enthusiast
1992 Eldorado Touring
3,688 Posts
I hope that car has a new transmission... if the dealer did the tranny flush (fluid looks uber clean), that might mean bad news in a couple thousand miles.

Other than that, nice car! However, $8,300 is way too much for the mileage.

·
Registered
'93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's
4,382 Posts
VERY nice! We had a 2000 300M for about 18 months, and while that one had issues and then was in a bad accident and repaired, I still loved it and miss it.

I'm still quite knowledgeable about them too, and from the time they came out, the owner and club following was actually pretty huge and still ongoing. If you haven't already, there's lots of great guys here, and you can find out any detail you ever wanted or needed:

http://www.300mclub.org

They're actually quite durable cars, and the 3.5 is a strong piece. The suspensions tend to need some work nearing 100k if they haven't already (but nothing untypical, same as any other similar FWD car), and the timing belt MUST be replaced (usually with a new water pump) specifically at the 100k intervals--you don't want to stretch that. The 3.5 is also actually quite powerful, particularly at higher revs, and the biggest issue with the cars not always seeming as peppy as expected was just the soppy nature of the older 4-spd they had--they'd actually be more of a screamer had the new 6-spd been out at the time.

Better yet, that's also a 2001, which is regarded as one of the best years, right when they were upgraded significantly (optional real walnut trim inside, small NVH improvements, higher grade tires, nicer interior colors) and right before they really started decontenting them backwards in '02-04. Probably isn't, but the other popular item is the PHP/PHG Performance Handling Package/Group that stiffened the suspension to the specs it had in every other country (stock US softer ride was unique), brake mods, firmer steering, and a removed speed limiter. You can usually tell if it has it or not from a groove cut in the front rotors around the hub area.

But yeah, cool car. Some have had some issues--the one we had included, but it was an oddball--and back in the fall, I actually found a mint '99 LHS that caught my eye and I test drove. Still would like to have one, too.

·
Registered
41,009 Posts
:alchi: I thought this was another "Camry on Fire" thread. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
22,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hope that car has a new transmission... if the dealer did the tranny flush (fluid looks uber clean), that might mean bad news in a couple thousand miles.

I'm opposed to the "dont flush it!" mentality on this forum -- ATF gets old and acidic and people here wonder why their solenoids fail or act surprised when they lose a gear at 120k.

Chrysler's LH cars had tranny issues in the beginning due to a lack of proper cooling and a maintenance schedule that didn't call for enough fluid changes. Second gen was beefed up and most (I'm a regular at dodgeintrepid.net) recommend a full flush with CHRYSLER-ONLY ATF 4.

If you keep the fluid fresh and use only the factory-sourced fluid, it will last forever. The same routine is used for modern-day Nissans as well (older JATCO Nissans and Mazdas used DEXRON 3).

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
I gotta say, that's a pretty nice car. You and Tanner kinda opened my eyes to them last weekend..I remember liking them when they came out (1999 was it? I was 12 at the time) but then I got big into GM and started to really dislike modern Chryslers, but these are quite nice.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
I gotta wonder...is there a big difference in ride and handling between a 300M and a LHS?

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,232 Posts
I had a '74 Chrysler New Yorker. The experience cured me of owning another Chrysler product forever more.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Hahaha! How come? I really like the 74-75 Imperials and 76-78 New Yorker Broughams.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,232 Posts
Hahaha! How come? I really like the 74-75 Imperials and 76-78 New Yorker Broughams.
The Chrysler products of that period drove like the steering was connected to the wheels with rubber bands. It wandered all over the road like a sad old sow. I decided it had to have problems so I spent a lot of money on parts and a lot of time installing them and it made no difference whatsoever. After all the wasted effort I drove another one and it was exactly the same. On any kind of uneven surface it was hopeless.

·
Registered
04 ctsV platinum,maggied,rt cats,headers,corsa,stealth tune
4,750 Posts

That price is spot on around here,8 to 11 for one of those:thumbsup:

·
Auto Enthusiast
1992 Eldorado Touring
3,688 Posts
That price is spot on around here,8 to 11 for one of those:thumbsup:

05/24/07NORTHSTR Regular $4,850 92,446 Avg SILVER 6G A Yes
05/23/07 BUTLER Lease $6,300 82,915 Avg DK BLUE 6G A Yes
05/23/07 DALLAS Lease $5,900 53,164 Avg RED 6G A Yes
05/22/07 BALTWASH Regular $5,450 76,656 Avg SILVER 6G A Yes
05/22/07 FT WAYNE Regular $6,000 90,831 Avg TAN 6G A Yes
05/22/07 HATFIELD Regular $7,300 79,657 Avg Black 6G A Yes
05/22/07 IMPERIAL Regular $2,200 105,052 Below SILVER 6GA No

That is what the dealers are paying for them. They sure made a profit :)

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
I gotta wonder...is there a big difference in ride and handling between a 300M and a LHS?
Yeah, not a whole lot when you compare a standard 300M to an LHS, with the LHS just having a tad more luxury to it--but from personal experience, not enough to really tell. A typical LHS is still far from the float and bound of a larger Cadillac, Buick, etc. of similar year--and feels very touring and planted.

A performance package 300M stiffens things up quite a bit, however, and is still regarded as actually a good thing, as the softness provided by the base suspension also isn't as well damped and doesn't feel as good overall. I remember back in 2000 when my mother was buying one, the first one we drove was a Performance model and it had a crisp and firm but still absorbant ride, and then the standard model we ended up with was far from a boat, but always had an extra bit of jiggle and spring that I didn't like as much.

That is what the dealers are paying for them. They sure made a profit :)
A valid point, but honestly try and find one of that year, condition, and mileage for a lower price like that from a dealer or private party, and you won't get a whole lot. Auction value is one thing, but on a car like this, they probably still didn't make that huge of a killing--and for what the car looks like and has obviously been cared for, it's still a nice deal. Guess that's just backed up by my lingering interest in them, and always perusing the classifieds for some, and knowing where the prices generally still fall.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Even though they're FWD, I still like them. The Autostick is a pain, counterintuitive and worthless, IMO. They would not be my personal preference of car, but the 300M/LHS was a great rental and a great daily driver...

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Just dug up some pictures of ours. Like I said, it did have issues--actually all VERY minor, but the horrific dealer experience was what really did it in--and was in a bad accident and fixed, plus really was too small for us as we found out after the fact. But, it also was a really fun car, got looks, and the most stylish and loaded vehicle the queen mother has had--they were her favorite vehicle when they first came out, but it also ended up being the car that turned her off from Chrysler after only 18 months of owning it.

Moved on to the Avalanche from it, then to the Suburban, but still miss the Chrysler, for various reasons. Cool car.

Ours was a 2000, and Deep Slate (dark, dark charcoal pearl) with Agate (also dark charcoal) leather, the beautiful chrome "Razorstar" wheels, stereo upgrade, sunroof, and full spare. Here's the day after picking it up:

Then some later ones I found, which were before the first long road trip, all bra'd up and ready to go (first and last time we ever put one on a car, but it worked well for the trips):

·
Auto Enthusiast
1992 Eldorado Touring
3,688 Posts
A valid point, but honestly try and find one of that year, condition, and mileage for a lower price like that from a dealer or private party, and you won't get a whole lot. Auction value is one thing, but on a car like this, they probably still didn't make that huge of a killing--and for what the car looks like and has obviously been cared for, it's still a nice deal.
From the pics, it was purchased from a small dealer, maybe eBay. From personal experience, I can tell you they did pick it up that cheap and that most likely it does not have service records included. You will be amazed at what some dye and airbrushing can do, all for under $500. Just my .02$

1 - 20 of 27 Posts