Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2013 ATS / 2016 ATS-V
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder how many posts have this title .Pulled out of work yesterday and shifted second at about 5k and it sounded like a shotgun blast , Coasted over to the side of the road and it was spewing gear fluid all over.It sounds as if it broke the pinion gear inside the rear but luckily the driveshaft didnt fall out. Ill keep yalll posted

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
148 Posts
Heard the same thing about 10 minutes ago on my way home! That's why I got on here so I could research some stuff. It was not only a loud bang, but I physically felt it (or I think I did). But it drives fine. I hope it didn't do any major damage. I was totally expecting to be sitting on the side of the road right now.

·
Registered
2013 ATS / 2016 ATS-V
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I skimmed through the sticky about the nhsta stuff but I found it difficult to find out if there replacing the units with "better" or newer versions of it? Does anyone know?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
The replacement units are supposedly beefed up for '06, but not by much at all. At least they will usually replace the diff without hassle. I am on #6, probably getting a new one soon... Good luck... It seems that some people have no problems and others have multiple problems. Sucks for such an awesome car that Cadillac can't get their shit together.

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts
There is NO problem with the CTS-V:

Rear Differentials
Radiators
NAV Buttons
Center Consoles
Sail Panels
Parking Brakes
Rear Bushings
Transmissions
Slave Cylinders
Clutches

You ALL are abusive drivers.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
You broke the case, the ring and pinions are not the problem really.

I'm on #2, I had the very first retrofit '06 diff installed, its lasted 40K mi., but is due to be replaced soon, and its been noisy since 400 mi.

I'm hoping lol, to have enuf cash soon to install My complete rear package soon, as I'll be out of warranty soon.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
LMFAO!!!!!!

Rear Differentials
Radiators
NAV Buttons
Center Consoles
Sail Panels
Parking Brakes
Rear Bushings
Transmissions
Slave Cylinders
Clutches

·
Registered
2017 Camaro ZL1; 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2004 Lightning
12,007 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Consider yourself lucky; at least it wasn't someone else's rear that you blew.

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts
I blew 6 rear diffs. One at below 15mph just pulling out of my driveway. Let us know if the dealer gives you any grief. I haven't kept up with the failures but I believe the 2006 units are less prone to catastrophic failure, but still have the whining issue.

·
Registered
'11 CTS V Coupe
106 Posts
What are the chances that the '09 V rear will fit into our car? As best I can tell both are built on the sigma chassis so maybe we can get lucky. My original '05 diff is still going after 33K but I am concerned long term.

·
crushing Vs with my Wurm
2013 GT500 - 700+ HP
12,266 Posts
almost 6 years into the project and GM still cant keep shit together....too funny. Doug, Ill see you Wednesday to pick up my Traction Package V!!!!!

F

·
Registered
05 Maggied V Black/Black
1,158 Posts
F
when you get there you'll see mine getting an adjustment to the rear :) :) :)

·
Registered
Cadillac
3 Posts
I wonder how many posts have this title .Pulled out of work yesterday and shifted second at about 5k and it sounded like a shotgun blast , Coasted over to the side of the road and it was spewing gear fluid all over.It sounds as if it broke the pinion gear inside the rear but luckily the driveshaft didnt fall out. Ill keep yalll posted

What happened with this? My same thing happened to me Sunday, dealer is refusing to fix it, and I bought the extended warranty.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Even though this is a well documented problem with these cars, some Dealers can't seem to grasp the elusive concept known as "Customer Service".

If a polite reminder that the rear differential is covered by the Warranty doesn't get it done, ask to be put in touch with the Area Service Rep. or call Cadillac Customer Care at 1-800-458-8006.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V Redline
743 Posts
What happened with this? My same thing happened to me Sunday, dealer is refusing to fix it, and I bought the extended warranty.
Your brother in law knows what to do, he posted here a few hours ago.

The dealer you went to is an ass. He needs to be complained about.

In the mean time you can take it somewhere else and they should fix it, as it is FULLY covered in the warranty.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
Another known issue for CTS-V owners is the existence of Defective Dealerships, which must be either "tuned up" through an appeal to GM, or "replaced."

·
Registered
1959 Cadillac, 1980 Cadillac,Former 2005 CTS-V; now a 2009 V
2,210 Posts
what i find amazingi s that some of you have gone through 6 differentials, and are still driving the car.

i mean; i'd give 2, maybe 3 differentials, but after that i'd get rid of the car.

my long-suffering only goes so far

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts

Rear Differentials
Radiators
NAV Buttons
Center Consoles
Sail Panels
Parking Brakes
Rear Bushings
Transmissions
Slave Cylinders
Clutches

I was watching someone abuse his nav buttons and his sail panels just the other day--all at the same time too.

LOL

1 - 20 of 43 Posts