Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2008 escalade
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought some 24" kmc slides wheels. I inspected them closely to look for any damage. I went to have them put on today and road force balanced. They said 2 of the four wheels are bent and they put them in the rear of truck. They said drive it and see what i think. It seems that when i get up to 70mph the ride is more wobbly than previously. I went from 26s to 24s so the ride shouldn't be worse. They said they could have a place fix the rims. Is this a lost cause or are they able to fix bends? I don't even see where the bends could be. As for taking the wheels back its not possible as i bought them on craigslist. Any thoughts are appreciated on how to solve. thanks

·
Registered
'16 VSport (wife's), '10 Escalade, '97 & '02 SS Camaro's, '15 Silverado LTZ
1,131 Posts
Seems like you two alternatives, live with it or try to get them repaired.

Big rims with rubber band tires cannot absorb impact and don't stand up well to bumps, pot holes and etc. I bet there's a plethora of rims on sale on CL because the owner knows they're bent and trying to pawn them off on some unsuspecting buyer.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
Large non forged wheels this can happen, it takes a lot less to bend a wheel than you would think, and the only way to tell is put them on a lathe or a road force balancing machine and have them checked, they can be straightened, something as little as rubbing the tires against a curb can slightly bend large wheels. We have used these people in northeast PA, they do good wheel work, there are other too.

http://wheelcollision.com/

·
Registered
Cadillac Escalade 2008 and Cadillac SRX 2011
24 Posts
Depends on what part of the US you are located in. I've had big rims for YEARS and never had problems. ANY rim is easy to bend. Anyways, if you are on the east coast as mentioned above, there is lots a companies. I google'd it a couple of minutes ago and had lots of hits. I recommend that since you already made the investment, just repair them and take the repair as a small loss, and the repaired rims as a big gain. Period. I wouldn't listen to anyone telling you to give up on them.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I once flew from Indy to Dallas to buy a used BMW. Before I went down there I had the BMW dealer do a full service on it and to look for anything out of place. They gave it a thumbs up so I sent down some money, got a one way ticket and bought the car. I knew one tire was bad bad and would need replaced, no big deal I'll just replace all four. So I get the car back to Indy and take it to Discount Tire where they discovered 3 bent rims. I called the BMW dealer and of course they couldn't help, it simply wasn't a bullet on their list to check. Sigh. So I bought new rims and tires. Sweet. Here I am a week later with this terrible shake. Went back to Discount Tire and they re-road force balanced. I did this again literally 7 times with 3 shops (2 Discount Tires and once somewhere else). I finally upgraded into better tires and never had the problem again.

Anywho... when asking them about the wheels they gave me the names of several places that will bend them back true. I called a couple and they didn't seem all that unreasonable. Since I was interested in something nicer I didn't mind buying new but I thought about a situation like yours at the time... what if I bought used rims. I'd say call one of these places up... they can bend it back to how it's supposed to be and I'll bet you'll never know the wiser.

Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts