Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2001 DeVille 2002 Escalade
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i attempted to change my waterpump and all hell broke loose. I striped the water pump inside the housing and broke one of the teeth off that holds the water pump in place. How much am I screwed? Does anyone know how much the housing costs. It looks like it goes across the whole back off the motor. Any help would be nice. 2001 cadillac deville

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Get ahold of ewill3rd. He is expert. Some moderators here are also extremely experienced.

Good luck.

Don't panic yet.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,990 Posts
What do you mean, "you stripped it". It is not threaded. It is cam locked. Which way did you turn it? What type of pump socket are you using? Cheap Lysle stamped steel one or a good heavy machined one?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tool cut into the water pump I was turning it clockwise. It was almost out then got stuck. The tool rounded off the water pump edges. Then it slipped off and broke off one off the teeth on the housing. It was a cheap tool from AutoZone. I don’t know what to do. I think I need to replace the water pump housing because off the broken tooth and the fact that I can’t get the old water pump out. I need to find out the part # of the housing. I hope it’s not expensive?

·
Super Moderator
86,990 Posts
The cost of the housing aka crossover manifold is not your problem. Replacing it is. Before going through all the work (and it is a lot of work) replacing the crossover, I'd beg, borrow, steal, buy or rent and good machined water pump socket and give it another shot. Usually a short burst from an impact wrench will break it loose. Once you get it out, you can get a better look at the crossover to be sure it was damaged. Maybe it was just the pump that was damaged?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know for sure one tab was broken off. How much is a good tool? How much is the manifold? Could the waterpump be fine minus one tab?

·
Super Moderator
86,990 Posts
A goog machined tool from Strap-On (Snap-On) is about $80. Spentmoore (KentMoore) is probably higher. No idea on the manifold. If you can get the old one out I would certainly give it a try with one less tab. Nothing to loose except a little coolant and a LOT of work to save.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I officially need a crossover manifold. I broke all the teath off with a impact gun and still did not get the waterpump out. I need help getting a crossover manifold? How much are they? it does not look to hard to replace.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
I paid a mechanic to replace my water pump several years ago. When I saw him struggle with that tool for 20 min, I decided I would never replace a 4.6 water pump myself. Later, I did wonder if he was turning it the wrong way, but his garage did specialize in Caddies.

·
Super Moderator
86,990 Posts
No idea on the cost. Contact http://www.gmotors.com. I had my crossover gasket replaced recently under warranty die to a leak. They kept the car overnight and gave me a loaner. It is not s easy as it looks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess i have no choice I will beable to do it. I have built motors before. It just suck because changing the waterpump should have been easy. My car has 250k miles so maybe it was just stuck in.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The part is 400 dollars at the dealer. He gave me a part #12582337, but i cant fnd it anywhere on the net. Can some one help me find this part somewhere else? Please.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The part # the Dealer gave me is not good. I can not find it anyware. Does any one know the part number?

·
Super Moderator
86,990 Posts
Just call or email gmotors and tell them what part you need. They will give you the part number and price.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is there any difference between a 1998 and 2001 northstar water pump housing? do they have the same waterpump cover?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I need to know because the snap on web site says it only goes up to 98 devilles, so I called and they said they would get back to me. But they said it could take some time. I need to order as soon as possible.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts