Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
98 sls
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,

I am a ford modular guy, im 16, and i normally work on the crown vic we have. My divorced father is a mechanic, and he just had a 1998 seville SLS come in with a blown motor, apparently ran out of oil. I guess what happened was, this guys insurance was supposed to cover it, he didnt pay for the insurance, he sold car to my dad becuase the motor was already in.

Either way, brand new NON rebuilt motor, supposedly new trans (not sure on that), all new suspension and steering components (not sure on that either, i gotta talk more).

Either way, this car is 1800 dollars, it has 6k on the new engine, and 108 on the body.

The body was in 1 accident, he got rearended and he went into someone else, no frame damage whatsoever. The front and rear bumper covers were replaced.

The paint is in good condition, seems like a nice car, and i am planning on picking it up. My father is trying to sell it to me as a decent car, but even though he is a mechanic, i am wondering, what should i watch out for on these cars when buying.

Getting the car up on a lift will not be a issue at all FYI, as he owns a shop, and thats where the car is located.

Either way, i also remember reading about the northstars oil cunsumption being extremely high due to something with a oil mainfold or something of the nature. I also heard that the motors need to be rebuilt every 70k miles, but again i am not sure, this was coming out of ford guys mouths.

Either way, i need to know some of this stuff, and what to really watch out for with these cars.

Thanks alot.

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
Where to begin. Everything you asked is covered in the archives. Break down your search topics. Do NOT believe your Ford friends regarding the longevity of the N*

·
Registered
98 Deville, '15 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, '12 Ford Escape
3,294 Posts
as EcSTSatic said, try out the search function on each of the topics you need to look up.

In regards to the 98 SLS burning oil, the only few times I've ever had to add oil before I changed it out according to the oil life indicator on the car were a few time when I tried using Synthetic Mobil 1 and another time when I was doing a TON of highway driving in one month.

I bought my SLS with about 70K on the clock and put nearly 50K more on it in 1.5 years. It is a great car. The most issues I've had were the shocks and struts, will all be completely replaced...rears are being shipped to me right now. I had the water pump O Ring leak. Those are my 'horror' stories with this car. No different from any other car I've ever owned really.

Post some pictures of it when you get a chance!

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
You asked what you need to read. Try the daily bus schedule.

There is an extra fan belt on the driver side of the engine. It controls the water pump. Make sure that is new. $11 or so.

Keep an eye on eng temp, and you should be ok.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,998 Posts
Change the coolant regularly per the owners manual or sooner. Read the Technical Archives at the top left of this page.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ranger has nailed it. There are 3 things to read up on. In order of importance they are:
1. Coolant maintenance
2. Coolant maintanance
3. Coolant maintanance

·
Registered
1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT
1,300 Posts
If the engine has been replaced with a new one (hopefully brand new) and has been put it by a compentant mechanic you have avoided a big bullet, the headgaskets. As said before, as long as you maintain the cooling system, you should be good. My deville would use a quart of oil every 1000 miles, like clockwork, even after it was rebuilt. THe other major issues are in the suspension. If it has the road sensing suspension, it is extremely expensive to replace 400-500 for the sensors, 1000 a shock, just for the parts. It is a little curious though, as to why its only 1800. A new northstar is very expensive, not to mention the labor. The tranny is pricey as well. Not sure why someone would invest a lot (in the thousands) and let it go for that cheap. Just keep in mind, NOTHING on a caddy is cheap or easy to replace, I sold my deville for a bronco after I got hit with the 1000 dollar a/c compressor replacement bill.

·
Banned
98 sls
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am going to copy and paste what i said on another forum about this car, i got a few things cleared up, so here it is

Yeah, While, to fix the paint, our local body guy we normally go to cut us a good deal on the paintjob, so i cant complain.

What happened was my father did a engine swap for the old owner, as per USED caddy warranty on the car. Apparently, what happened was he acquired the car from caddy financing as payment for the motor, trans, and all that fun stuff, as the guy never made payments i guess. The car was driven out for parts a few times, and once to Florida and back for some meeting my father had to go to.

Apparently, the paint had a few scratches that appear can be fixed, but the fading was because some kids acid tagged his windows in front of his shop, and apparently god the car too. He had his body guy respray the car quickly and didn't match it correctly, just off a bit. Nothing i am mad about.

Than, today, i go to go ahead and pay him for the rest, telling him about the car, but how ive had trouble with a few things like the new keys he had the dealer cut. The damn brand new keys dont work in the door or trunk, but work in the ignition. He ended up going and getting new keys made for me as he had these made, and when i go to pay him as we agreed to, he said screw it, happy birthday, I see you fixed a few things wrong with it and thats good enough for me.

So, for at this point, 375 dollars, i got a

Motor,trans,radiator,PCM,and a few other things with 2k on it (the warranty called it a "powertrain replacement"
Body with 100k
Paint that sorta matches
All new front steering and suspension and rear suspension components
A 32 valve northstar that sounds good
A caddy :)
Nice stereo system
Garage door opener built in
And my favorite feature of all, some REALLY hot girls start to see me as a option now lol

I am greatful beyond belief for this car, its just, i dont like it. I like the crown vic better. I get in it, and i just feel like i have NO connection to the car whatsoever, whatever i tell it to do is just a suggestion.

Maybe im just a freak, but i think my mom needs the car more than me, so i figured id rather have her enjoy something she likes rather than me drive a car i like, but just dosent work out or fit me. Maybe i will get used to it, i just think im going to get all the little pissy shit in this car fixed for her (just 1 or 2 things).

Now the best part of this is, i asked him if i can use the lift in his shop to work on our cars and he said i can use the lift and any tools i need. I think i made out on the deal well :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts