Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 99 Deville and recently theres been alot of rattle in the front end so I took it to the shop to have it looked at. Turns out that struts are bad and so are my sway bars. He says he can fix it all for about a thousand dollars. Im think wow thats insane. So I leave and go home and start making some calls. I call the local caddy dealer and he has all the parts I need for about 500 all together. That mechanic was trying to charge me way to much for the struts. Like 300 dollars more than what the dealer sells them at. Does this kind of crap go on all the time? I'll never take my car to the shop again. From now on its fix it your self or get a friend who knows what they are doing.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
yeah, you are comparing what a mechanic will charge for parts and labor, compared to the dealer for just the parts...

call the dealer back, tell them your car and ask how much for the parts you need.... with labor.

·
Registered
Cadillac Deville 1990
266 Posts
This is why I rather do the work myself. I recently did the whole front suspension and brake system can you imagine how much it would have cost? No no no I bought the parts from AutoZone and ORiely's and saved a bundle. Got the front struts for $59 each, Brake pads for $34, Rotors for $17 each, Ball joints for $22 and the Tie Rod for $29. My rear shocks were $49 each. Under $300 bucks for something that would have cost over 2k from dealer or mechanic.

·
Registered
Cadillac Deville 1990
266 Posts
Oh yea did the calipers as well and they were $20 each so i might have been a little over $300. Still saved a bundle!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts