Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac Catera
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 Catera, currently drive it back and forth to college. It has 66,700 miles on it, and has not given me one problem. I got it with 50,700 in January 07. Am I just lucky? From reviews Ive read its supposed to have crap reliability, but mine has been great. Only things that dont work are the CD player (I use my Ipod anyway), and the leveling system.

·
Registered
Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport
1,840 Posts
If it hasn't been done yet, replace the timing belt and tensioner. They need replacment every 40,000 miles. Search for the related topics for more info. If that belt goes you'll need a cylinderhead rebuild and new pistons. Serious dollars.

·
Registered
'97 Forest Green Catera
674 Posts
Hi,

I like my Catera also. :) I have had it for almost 11 years.

How do you run your Ipod in the car? Do you use a cassette adapter or FM adapter? How does it sound?

·
Registered
Cadillac Catera
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use a cassette adapter. Tried the FM transmitter, it not only sucked in terms of quality, but it stopped working 2 months after I got it. The tape adapter sounds awesome, and is trouble-free.

·
Registered
535 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Catera
172 Posts
It's taken me over a year to really 'like' my 97 Cat. I, like many others, bought the car without research and with many miles. I got lucky, the engine and most of the drivetrain was OK, and I do all my own work.

I've finally put almost 10,000 miles on it since it left the ramps (the first of July!!!) without problems and I know I finally got it right. Now that I'm not watching the temp gauge all the time (its good at 1/2 even at 95 degrees outside) and there are no leaks I can enjoy the ride. And its got the kind if drive I need for all the road miles I put on (in my other vehicles I sometimes only have the choice to slow down when trouble arises...in the Cat I can kick it and get out of the way without losing the road).

·
Registered
Shopping!
199 Posts
I too, have a '98 that I drive to college. Bought it with 52k on it and now have 83k. Problems started occuring at 70k. Perhaps you'll have better luck! I do still love it though.

·
Registered
92' Eldorado, 97 Catera
289 Posts
It is kind of funny I have been digging around other forum sites trying to find information or somebody who has did any preformance upgrades for these engines. I noticed that one of the threads on a Saturn site was a crank, but won't start. Did a search and found a ton just like on this site. GM must just want to run out those crappy sensors or something.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Are you really supposed to do the timing belt every 40k miles? That is ridiculous. Most cars recommend timing belt being changes around 100k. What gives?

·
Registered
Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport
1,840 Posts
Are you really supposed to do the timing belt every 40k miles? That is ridiculous. Most cars recommend timing belt being changes around 100k. What gives?
I believe the factory interval was 60,000 miles but after the problems with the tensioner they changed it to 40,000. Ignore that at your own risk. When the belt goes the pistons will crush the valves.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts