Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriends dad has a 1970 Eldorado 500 firemist gold? I belive is the color. Any how the 500 I understand have 425 hp. He said the old 70 eldo would walk all over the seville sls (my car) Who would win the eldorado has to weight a good 600-800 pounds more. So that's my question what car would win?

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
70 Eldo: 500cid, 400hp, 550tq, 4630 pounds.
95 SLS: 279cid, 275hp, 300tq, 3892 pounds.

My guess is the Eldo would probably have close to a second on you in the 1/4.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
The SLS would cream the older Eldo. You have to remember that back in those days, the HP ratings were "Gross" not "SAE". That's why in '71-'72, you saw all the Detroit iron take a huge nose-dive in performance specs. The power REALLY didn't change much but the way in which they were forced to state the specs did.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
cadillacstylin1995 said:
My girlfriends dad has a 1970 Eldorado 500 firemist gold? I belive is the color. Any how the 500 I understand have 425 hp. He said the old 70 eldo would walk all over the seville sls (my car) Who would win the eldorado has to weight a good 600-800 pounds more. So that's my question what car would win?
for the 70 eldo YES it will beat you one one condition if you take off the hood, trunk, seats, body panels etc... that car is one giant led sled. Your car is lighter and quicker response time.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Katshot said:
The SLS would cream the older Eldo. You have to remember that back in those days, the HP ratings were "Gross" not "SAE". That's why in '71-'72, you saw all the Detroit iron take a huge nose-dive in performance specs. The power REALLY didn't change much but the way in which they were forced to state the specs did.
Id like to hear more about this....

How were the rating systems different.... Were they based on what they THOUGHT the engine should produce... :D

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
elwesso said:
Id like to hear more about this....

How were the rating systems different.... Were they based on what they THOUGHT the engine should produce... :D
Someone correct me if im wrong but i think it has to do with the hp rating at the engine and then they went to the wheels.
also i did hear something about there was a max. amount of hp that a car could have

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
I can assure you that a STS wont have 300hp at the wheels......

A Q similar to mine had 230RWHP stock...... They are advertised at 278......

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
14,607 Posts
"were "Gross" not "SAE". "

Remind me here , Gross was a engine dynoed with no acessories , uncorrect exaust , and a few other things , a pretty much general figure based on engine alone ?

SAE was all possible acessories on engine , duplicate of the cars exaust , and all other things correct for that car ?

i am haveing trouble remebering exactly what it is but i do remeber the acessories on the engine bit , katshot should eb able to shed some light here

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Im pretty sure thats right on...... Engine as it would be in the engine bay, power at the flywheel (or flexplate for the technicalists......)

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
elwesso said:
Im pretty sure thats right on...... Engine as it would be in the engine bay, power at the flywheel (or flexplate for the technicalists......)
Well since we got away from the original post i think its safe to say as is the sls will win

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
yeah we did sorta get off track..... Sorry :thumbsup:

·
Registered
83 Posts
i would think the seville would beat the old eldog, but with a few mods
and maybe a dual exhaust system and a good all around tune-up they
might match up a little better, the 1970 eldorado isn't as heavy as the
71 -78 eldogs and there are no smog on those models so it depends on
how well the eldog was taken car of. i'll let u guys know i fast my 69 eldog is when i pick it up saturday, but i think the seville would be the faster car. my 2 cents :spin:

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
to interpret the quote I extracted in my earlier post, I think it comes down to a 325 HP 500 c.i. engine. (325 is probably being generous)

When you factor in the extra weight of the Eldo, the STS whips it cold, and the SLS probably wins, too. Picturing the race is the difficult part. Traction at launch time is a factor, as would be the high-rpm hp of the N*. I see either Seville pulling away and widening the lead at the end.

I used to have a DOS-based drag race simulation program. You could enter three or four cars with ALL their specifications and the program would render a graphic model of what the race would look like, who would win, and what their times SHOULD be, all other factors (driver, track, etc.) being equal. If I can find it, I'll post a link here.

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
elwesso said:
I can assure you that a STS wont have 300hp at the wheels......

A Q similar to mine had 230RWHP stock...... They are advertised at 278......
His car wont have 300hp at the wheels especially because its a 275hp SLS. And a 76 smogger 500 will hit 305hp, so a older higher compression 500 would hit 325 pretty damn easy. Also the torque should be well in excess of 450 lbs. Still say the eldo would win as long as it's in good running condition.

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
2,795 Posts
In a drag race, the eldo would NEED slicks to have a chance. My RWD can't hook up for crap, even with the posi.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Oh... I missed the part that it was an SLS...... :eek:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
wow I thought this would get a response but not this many. I haven't been on lately. I would have never ask this if he didn't say to me one day "this 1970 eldorado would walk away from your seville". I think he said that because he's jealous of my car :worship: because he always liked that body style, and his wife the girlfriends mom, likes her 93 buick regal.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts