Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1965 Sedan, 1969 convertible, 71 Fleetwood, 74 Coupe
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question has probably been asked a thousand times.
I am installing new lifters into my 472, i had them soaking in oil for 2 days, they were all still soft.
There is conflicting information on weather to prime them or not.
The Caddy manual says to take them apart and fill them with oil and make sure that all the air is out of the bottom by pressing on the little ball.
I have done this, they are now rock hard but the manual dosent say they should be hard or soft.
When they go back into the engine should they be rock hard or not.
Thanks

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
Rock hard lifters can be a problem with non adjustable valve trains. I have done it and gotten away with it when I didn't know better but many others have had problems getting the engine started with valves held open. I would try to get them to drain some. I used to pump them with a pushrod when I was real young. I don't remember if that will pump oil out or not now. For the last 25 years I just throw them in a dish of oil and call it good. So, leaving them ful of oil is risky imo. If the engine doesn't start and this is a new cam then you could wipe the lube from the lobes prematurely and increase the chance of failure.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,479 Posts
New flat tappet lifters, properly primed, will seem hard. When you install the cam and valvetrain the lifters will bleed due to valve spring/rocker pressure. Not a problem. (Remember: They run with full engine oil pressure/supply applied to them) Use breakin lube on the cam lobes and lifter faces, set everything up correctly, verify starting oil pressure and immediately run the engine up to ~1500 rpm and leave it there for 20 minutes or so.

If you had any lifter damage or face wear that caused the replacement, you should have replaced the cam, too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts