Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got my 09' hybrid. VERY happy with it after spending about 1000 miles from Atlanta to Miami. My highway mileage was a bit disappointing though. I was driving about 85 on cruise control almost the entire time and I got about 16 MPG. I figured it would be much closer to 20 MPG. I did see there was a big difference in instantaneous mileage between 80 and 85 because it appears that the cylinder shutoff doesn't really work above 80. Basically, what I mean is that once you are above 80, you must run on 8 cylinders (can't go down to 4 and remain at 85).

My city mileage was good (about 18 MPG), but still not as good as I hoped.

Is something wrong or is this about what other hybrid drivers are getting?

·
Registered
'07 Escalade ESV AWD
248 Posts
So I just got my 09' hybrid. VERY happy with it after spending about 1000 miles from Atlanta to Miami. My highway mileage was a bit disappointing though. I was driving about 85 on cruise control almost the entire time and I got about 16 MPG. I figured it would be much closer to 20 MPG. I did see there was a big difference in instantaneous mileage between 80 and 85 because it appears that the cylinder shutoff doesn't really work above 80. Basically, what I mean is that once you are above 80, you must run on 8 cylinders (can't go down to 4 and remain at 85).

My city mileage was good (about 18 MPG), but still not as good as I hoped.

Is something wrong or is this about what other hybrid drivers are getting?
Uhhh...and exactly what mileage did you think you were going to get doing 80/85 MPH? Highway or not with the cruise on or not, you're not going to do much better, unless you decide to slow down. Your pushing the frontal area of a cruise ship! If you dropped your speed to 70/75 MPH you definitely would pick up some MPG. At that speed, your Hybrid is all motor, firing on all 8 cylinders. It's underpowered compare to the regular Escalade 6.2 motor so it has to work that much harder (which explains why my '03 Navigator got worse mileage than I am now with my ESV) to maintain that speed. The truck's new too and needs to loosen up a bit and break in to get the best possible mileage.

The concept of the Hybrid Escalade is very bitchin'. Kind of GM's thumbing their nose at the tree huggers. It's great for what it is, and has impressive stats/features if that's what you're looking for. I looked at the Hybrid and never really considered it; it's tow rating is significantly lower than the other Escalades (and tow capacity was one of my major purchasing considerations), some of the badging (which is arguably removable/replaceable) is too much (I get it! It's a Hybrid!!!), and I rarely drive in conditions where the Hybrid really shines, which is in-town, stop and go traffic, when its electric motor is doing almost all the work...

Very nice ride nonetheless, best of luck with it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As I said, I figured it was the speed. I am very happy with the mileage, especially considering the real world city MPG is approximately double that of the normal Escalade. I just read a previous post from another forum member who was getting more like 21/22. My guess is that drive much slower than me...with that being said, I just want to make sure my new car is driving properly.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
My two 07's get just over 12 city and just over 20 highway if I stay around 75 mph or less, 80-85 mph they get about 18 mpg

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
The Hybrid Escalade also uses Active Fuel Management so if you can get a nice mellow cruise going it should shut down 4 cylinders and maintain speed.
If you keep that pedal down it is going to be as crappy as any other SUV with a big engine on the road.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts