Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Cadillac Deville
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 deville w/89k mi. The problem I have is the black plastic housing for the fan motor,condensor?:confused: for the hvac is crumbling apart. It is the plastic box that sits next to the firewall on the passenger side. I remember seeing a square scored section on top that reads cut here for service. About 1/3 of the plastic has chipped away and I have temporarily patched it with duct tape.Is there a replacement part available? Also, does it hurt to be exposed? I am not sure if these parts need to be airtight.I'm not even sure what this box contains;just guessing. Any help is much appreciated.:)

·
Registered
2001 Deville DHS
20 Posts
I had a similar problem on a 95 Deville (the passenger side firewall area...exposed yellow insulation under the crumbling plastic). I learned on this forum that it would be VERY expensive to replace, as the drivetrain needs to be dropped. I went to a home improvement store and bought heat resistant foil tape rated to 260 degrees and fully taped the area. That was about six months ago and it has withstood the summer heat and rain in Dallas. The A/C works fine. So it ended up being about a $10 "repair".

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Get out the old J B Weld again and maybe some of plastic gift cards, plastic hotel keys, etc.

Parts dept and a/c repair shops also sell a putty made out of black tar. One flavor of this is about 1.5 inches wide, and it can be spread like putty. It comes in a roll.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,969 Posts
does it hurt to be exposed? I am not sure if these parts need to be airtight.
If you leave it open, the blower motor will blow air into the engine bay rather than the cabin, thus you will have reduced air flow through the cabin vents.

·
Registered
1995 SEDAN DEVILLE-4.9 & 1978 SEDAN DEVILLE-425
1,673 Posts
My 1995 Deville also had the same problem---it seemed the more places i touched,the more it chipped off.
For now i used scotch electrical tape to cover the open areas.Before applying the tape i cleaned the areas to be covered with rubbing alcohol,(soaked the alcohol in a rag and wiped the areas clean),so the tape would have a clean surface to adhere to.
So far it has stayed adhered for the past 4 months.

I realize there is a lot of heat buildup under the hood and my Caddy is 12 years old----but GM should have put a more durable plastic in that area.

I recently gave 2 of my auto`s to a local car donation center,a 1988 ford cougar and a 1984 chevy camaro,AND NONE OF THE PLASTIC IN THE HVAC AREA EVER CHIPPED OFF AT ALL.Since the plastic stayed durable on my 19 year old cougar and 23 year old camaro,both with 125,000 miles on each,Cadillac certainly could have put more durable plastic covering in there.

·
Registered
96 Cadillac Deville
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all for the replies! I am new to this forum and I am very impressed with its knowledge base.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts