Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi lads, just bought my ATS 2015 2.0T performance, the issue is that there is a HUD projector, but there is no button on to switch it on. So i was wondering if its possible to some how install the HUD add, like add these buttons for HUD or there is missing more to it?? Anyone tried?

·
Registered
2013 Luxury ATS 2.0T Manual
695 Posts
The HUD would not be an easy retrofit. The projector sits behind the gauge cluster on a bunch of mounting hardware that isn't there if you don't have the feature. The gauge cowl is also different since it has a big rectangular cutout on top. The HUD controls would have to be added along with their wires. HUD equipped ATSes also have different windshields that properly reflect and refract the light coming up from the projector. Finally, there's no telling if the non-HUD DIC unit will just work if you connect in the HUD hardware. I'd like to believe that they wrote the software in such a way that it will just work in any car, but Cadillac has made a lot of inter-trim incompatibilities, so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't work.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD
269 Posts
Everytime i turn the ignition, i see a red reflection on the window.. attached a photo of it... is that the projector??
I don't see the attached picture, but as SaveTheManuals said this is probably just the collision warning lights.

·
Registered
2015 ATS Coupe, Premium 3.6 AWD; 2005 Mercedes SLK roadster; 2003 Suburban
126 Posts
What you show in the photo is not HUD. As previously noted, probably projects the red collision warning icon.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have added a HUD projector to my 2015 Performance edition, the tricky part is getting another instrument cluster that is HUD enabled and programmed to your car. You have to change the hood over cluster, bracket under the hood, different knee bolster panel with HUD controls, I have pics on my IG: CrakaLac337

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T 6spd manual Performance RWD
574 Posts
I have added a HUD projector to my 2015 Performance edition, the tricky part is getting another instrument cluster that is HUD enabled and programmed to your car. You have to change the hood over cluster, bracket under the hood, different knee bolster panel with HUD controls, I have pics on my IG: CrakaLac337
How was the wiring aspect of adding this?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Really simple, 3 wires on cluster harness need to be spliced into. The cluster to hud is a mini-usb, 2 wires run from HUD to HUD switch. The lane-assist and parking sensor switch is different so you have to splice it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
Again the trickiest part is getting the proper cluster with HUD port and having it programmed to the car. I can make harness to do the conversion

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hmm alright. And how did you know the correct cluster to buy? This sounds doable once you have the parts.

·
Registered
92 Posts
You need the cluster from a similar model year car with RPO UV6, that’s the code for HUD display option. I do not know anyone to program clusters currently, I am looking into getting the hardware/software to try out

·
Registered
574 Posts
Don't you need the specific HUD capable windshield glass too? Or will it work with non HUD glass but just not as well or something?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I plan on swapping later, I am just using one of those HUD vinyl cutouts you see on amazon or eBay, otherwise it is slightly out of focus

·
Registered
92 Posts
The cluster for HUD has a second port on the back, that’s how you can tell if it is correct or not. It is a mini-usb connector

·
Registered
574 Posts
I am getting my windshield replaced due to a rock chip that turned into a giant crack, maybe I should consider getting the HUD version. hah

·
Registered
92 Posts
2 birds with one stone, i have been trying to find one in a junkyard but I have a coupe so they are scarce

1 - 20 of 27 Posts