Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Sedan DeVille
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
85 SDV hubcaps are the worst designed pieces of dung ever. the tit that holds them to the wheel rattles around making a clack clack noise, and the caps themselves tend to drift as brakes get hot until they cut into the valve stem. Worst ... design ... ever.

I managed to fix the rattle with some O-Rings from Lowes plumbing department--when the shaped nut is all the way down the rings pinch the tit into place.

I fixed the slippage problem on my last wheels by putting tape on the rim, which gave something for the hubcap teeth to snag into. On the new tires and rims I had the body shop put a little strip of underbody paint on the rim, but then they painted over it so it is still rock hard and the hubcap still creeps around (first flat was about 36 hours after getting rims and new tires installed). I just put some cloth electrical tape on but they are already creeping again after just a run to the supermarket. Just got back from AutoZone with some chrome valve stem covers, so maybe they will bend instead of being sliced off.

I need some 14x6 replacement rims... these original POS are going in the shed. Any favorites that will look good with whitewalls on an 85 SDV?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,973 Posts
I think I have a set of "wires" from an '85 Eldo.

·
Registered
1985 Sedan DeVille
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are four I've found in 14x6 with 5x115 lug pattern and FWD offset (that's right isn't it?). I generally like them in the order presented. Click pics for links.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,973 Posts
Oh, I thought you where talking about hub caps. Should have read closer.

·
Registered
1985 Sedan DeVille
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like American Racing used to make this one in a 14x6 if some of the inventories can be believed

That understated look would probably be the best fit.

·
Registered
1985 Sedan DeVille
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bad news and good news.

Bad news--nobody makes 14x6 5x115 anymore, and it looks like all inventory has been drained pretty much. I've got questions into some manufacturers to see if they have warehouse stock they will sell but at this point it looks like I will have to buy whole new 15 wheels and tires if I want to get rid of these wretched hubcaps.

Good news--I was able to fix the drift with some duct tape on the rims. I found some black duct tape at Lowes (actually it was European "negro tape" ouch) and tore it into 1" strips that stick real nice to the enamel finish. The threading gives the teeth on the hubucaps enough of something to bite into, and keeps them from turning. I drove around town in stop-and-go hot weather for a while and they did not seem to move any. So once again, duct tape has saved the universe.

If I find any rims I'll post a follow-up.

·
Registered
1985 Sedan DeVille
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know these Eldorado rims (item 4512) are larger than my current ones but dayum they sure are good looking

Is the Eldorado offset too much for my 85 DeVille?

·
Registered
Cadillac
10 Posts
do you have the thing that unlocks the hubcaps. I have a flat, but no one here can get the tire off. Help
Chris

·
Registered
1985 Sedan DeVille
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are several different hubcap keys... You can get the nut off with a pair of angled needle nose pliers

·
Registered
1993 Cadillac deville sedan 1986 cadillac deville RIP
1,498 Posts
i have the saem problem i have the rattling in my 86sdv and the stem issue as well . might as well go with some daytons and call it a day

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
There are several different hubcap keys... You can get the nut off with a pair of angled needle nose pliers

OT: These are also the best tool I've found for removing the pop-out body clips, short of the special Ewill3rd magic mini-pry bar thingy.

·
Registered
1985 Sedan DeVille
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I fixed the rattling with new lug nuts and some O-rings from Lowe's plumbing aisle. The tit moving around had (1) worn a groove into the old lug nuts and (2) worn out the mounting holes in the tit so that it was no longer tight. Putting the O-rings under the new lug nuts provides a soft clamping action that keeps the tit from moving around. That fixes the rattling problem.

Duct tape around the inside edge of the wheel (where the hubcap camps onto) provides something for the hubcap teeth to bite into, and stops the rotation.

Having said all of that I am still looking for chrome Cadillac wheels that will look good on my C-Body. I have heard that the 16x7 wheels will fit so I'm going to try the Eldorado rims pictured above.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts