Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Base CTS work at Pullen solenoids Glass Factory for 36 and a half years
268 Posts
You have to have the lock key that matches that pattern. If you can't find it you can buy removal tools from most any auto store. it's basically a socket with teeth inside it will grab it and then you can loosen it.

Roy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you; I didn’t know there were kits to remove them. I had the wrench when I bought the car a few years ago, but it’s gone missing after several moves. I’ve tried to match it with keys available on Ebay but none have looked like the correct pattern. I’ll head to the auto parts store tomorrow!

You have to have the lock key that matches that pattern. If you can't find it you can buy removal tools from most any auto store. it's basically a socket with teeth inside it will grab it and then you can loosen it.

Roy

·
Registered
96 FWB
874 Posts
I got a cheap assortment and picked the best one to grind down to fit the groove snugly:

Reactions: NCjared

·
Registered
2005 Base CTS work at Pullen solenoids Glass Factory for 36 and a half years
268 Posts
It's hard to tell from your picture if it is like a lug nut lock then something like these tools should work to remove it.

Roy

·
Registered
1980 FBC
3,163 Posts
For the uninitiated:

There are at least three different types of hubcap locking systems on this series of hubcaps which IIRC spanned from 1976 to 1985. Could be wrong on the years as '76 most likely still used Cadillac wheel weights.

Later hubcaps had a hub fixture which was applied along with three lug nuts. It is a dome shape and has a stud in the center which protrudes through the center of the hubcap. The specialty nut threads over this stud and the Cadillac crest cover pops right into the center held by 4 spring steel clips.

1978 at least had what is seen in this thread. Specialty socket needed. It drives a captive locking mechanism which has a protrusion or two that fit into the wheel rim's slots. Holds well but can be a headache.

1977 had a pair of J bolts which fit through the rim slots. Specialty nuts threaded onto the j bolts outside. Giant pain to work with and was not the best idea from a wheel balancing standpoint.

Best of luck and sorry I don't have anything actually useful here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It’s actually a wire hubcap lock, so I’m not sure if these would work. But they do look very similar in shape. Thank you!

It's hard to tell from your picture if it is like a lug nut lock then something like these tools should work to remove it.

Roy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for this info!! I actually found someone on the forum who will sell me two types of these hub lock wrenches at a very reasonable price. They look very similar to my pattern, so hopefully one of them works!

For the uninitiated:

There are at least three different types of hubcap locking systems on this series of hubcaps which IIRC spanned from 1976 to 1985. Could be wrong on the years as '76 most likely still used Cadillac wheel weights.

Later hubcaps had a hub fixture which was applied along with three lug nuts. It is a dome shape and has a stud in the center which protrudes through the center of the hubcap. The specialty nut threads over this stud and the Cadillac crest cover pops right into the center held by 4 spring steel clips.

1978 at least had what is seen in this thread. Specialty socket needed. It drives a captive locking mechanism which has a protrusion or two that fit into the wheel rim's slots. Holds well but can be a headache.

1977 had a pair of J bolts which fit through the rim slots. Specialty nuts threaded onto the j bolts outside. Giant pain to work with and was not the best idea from a wheel balancing standpoint.

·
Registered
Cadillac
867 Posts
For the uninitiated:

That's interesting on the '77 J-bolts. Never knew that! I guess I'll have to take a deep dive into the owner's manual.

My J-bolts are long since gone from the original owner.

·
Registered
70 Deville 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
780 Posts
They might not even be locked. I would try to pop one off. My 78 hubcaps were never locked and they never fell off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts