Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Seville STS (167k)
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i think everyone knows what i mean by this. hub caps that come on the cheaper options and the rims on the more expensive options.

my question is what would be the advantage of the rims compared to the hub caps in terms of ride quality/performance?

·
Registered
1988 SDV; 1997 SDV D'Elegance
1,401 Posts
Well, aside from the obvious CLASS of having rims vs. hubcaps, there is a matter of weight (custom rims are usually lighter than stamped steel rims with the dog-dish hubcaps) and there are so many more options avaiable as far as style is concerned. Many people look at their rims as a form of personal expression - and there is only so much expressing you can do with a wheel cover!

Custom rims allow you more choice in tire size and tread width as well - which will affect your riding characteristics.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
I can't stand the fake mag wheel covers. It's so obvious thay are steel wheels and the owner is a poser.

A good set of rims can really set a Caddy off if well chosen. I picked black rims with polished accents for my raven black CTS.

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts
my 70 Eldo has hub caps though :)
At that time the wire wheels were not strong enough to handle the torque and weight

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Hub caps keep falling off for my family. From our 89 Buick to our 02 Galant, we kept missing at least one.

I like my bolt-on rims.

·
Registered
1996 Deville Concours
805 Posts
Many Cadillacs come with hubcap keys, to prevent theft in New York City lol...but they also serve to keep the thing on...though I recently encountered a bad experience with this...as the front-right hubcap nut thingy stripped...and that wheel bearing is just starting to go... Coincidence? Nah.... But anyhoo, that's what gave me quite enough of hubcaps, even though I like the spoked look...now if I just had some money, I'd do something about it...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2010 CTS (Elvis) 1964 Impala (Betty) 1991 Miata (Dolly)
14,333 Posts
For me, it depends on the car. I love Betty's original wire wheel covers with the spinners:

But even the standard '64 Impala wheel cover looks good:

I like the '64 and '65 Impala SS hubcaps, too. I love spinners:

On a classic car, I'd tend to stick with the OEM wheel cover or optional wheel unless all of the original wheels are really ugly. Pontiac had some great-looking OEM wheels in the Sixties and Seventies. My two favorites, the Rally II:

And the eight-lug:

There are some custom rims I like, such as the American Torque Thrusts that Steve McQueen had on his Mustang in Bullitt, but I hate those Crager S/S mags that you see so often on classic cars. I think they're god-awful ugly.

On a modern car, I definitely think custom rims are a way to personalize your car if you're so inclined. Had my DeVille come with Cadillac's wire wheel covers of the time, I probably would have put rims on her. But she came with the optional lace alloy wheels; I like them much better since I replaced the center caps with ones that have the wreath and crest in color:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts