Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Coupe DeVille
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im replacing all the old vacuum lines to avoid any leak related problems in the future. Im really not sure of what im looking at. Any ideas or explanations would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Pic # 1: This module. It is located between the Back of the TBI and the Rear valve cover. The bottom line runs down to the EGR vavle. The top nipple on this module thing had no hose on it. I assume there was supposed to be one there, does anyone know where it is supposed to connect to?

Pic #2: This bowl with a screw on Lid. There is a thick rubber hose comming up from the engine connecting to the bottom of the bowl. THat hose has been Cut at some point in time. There is another hole in the bottom of this bowl where it looks like another hose is supposed to connect. That hose is entirely missing. ANyone know what this item is and where the missing hose is supposed to go? There is some dirt fragments inside that look like the remains of a burnt up brillow pad.

Pic #3: I know this is the 'Cannister' it has several vacuum lines connecting to it. SHould i take it out and apart? is there some kind of changeable filter in there? Or should i just leave that one alone?

Attachments

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,245 Posts

·
Registered
1992 DeVille
2,339 Posts
Crackillac said:
Good idea, i just ordered it. Thanks!
Holy hell bass. 10 bucks?!?! Nice find dude!!!! My god you got a steal.

That module is the EGR solenoid and that lonesome nipple is where a foam filter goes. A lot of people's are like yours where the foam has gotten brittle and come off. You can replace the foam itself or the whole solenoid as a unit if you like.

The part is about 40 bucks so if you're feeling flush, or if the solenoid leaks, I'd say replace it. Otherwise you can find those foam filters or maybe look into making one yourself. It's about 10mm x 10mm x 1 inch (metric and standard I know I know..)

Can't tell what the second pic is all about but that third pic is def the charcoal canister and unless I'm mistaken there is no filter in that puppy to change out. Just make sure none of the hoses are leaking. (Mine are cracked but not leaking so I have yet to replace em)

----------

This is from a 4.9 but I'm sure it's similar

----------

Hope this helps some till you get your fsm

·
Registered
1985 Sedan DeVille
1,883 Posts
Part #1 is the EGR solenoid. It gets a signal from the computer to open and close when certain conditions are met. When it opens, it passes engine vacuum through the hose to the EGR valve. When it closes, it opens the outside air port to release the vacuum pressure. The port that is open is for outside air, and doesn't connect to anything.

Part #2 is the air filter for the AIR pump (aka smog pump). It draws air through the wheel well and through the large filter canister, before drawing into the pump. It looks like the post-filter tube is gone, which is not uncommon--if the belt ever frays or tears it will grab a hold of the soft rubber hose and rip it apart. I deleted all that crap from my 85. Its not connected to your vacuum system.

Part #3 is the evap canister filter. Gasoline fumes from the tank are captured and then fed into the intake for disposal. There are lines there for vacuum (for the purge switch) and also lines for the fuel. You need to study the chapter on this.

·
Registered
86 Coupe DeVille
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thankyall for all the info.
I will probably go ahead and get a new egr solenoid.knowing this car if something is breakable its either broke or waiting to break lol

I took out the vapor canister and cleaned all the oil and dirt off, do these ever wear out or need to be changed?
On the AIRsmog can: i had the belt fly off a few years ago and i get fed up with what i assumed was useless emissions junk and chopped the tube comming up from the engine with a knife so i could get the old belt out...would this thing not being functional affect how the engine runs?
The engine makes a sound almost sounds like a toothbrush handle knocking around the inside of a paper cup. I was thinking it might be egr related or Maybe the belt driven smog pump on the top front of the engine.

·
Registered
1985 Sedan DeVille
1,883 Posts
There is a breather element on the bottom of the evap charcoal canister, its just to keep crap out rockauto

The AIR pump system is pretty complicated setup. Not just the filter canister and pump, but there is also a large assembly on the rear valve cover called the diverter valve assembly that redirects air flow to where it is needed for operation.

·
Registered
'85 Sedan de Ville, '10 CTS-V
552 Posts
Ooohhh. One of those hoses was extremely hard to find back in early 2000s. I believe that here in California I'd still need to smog the car, so those things might be good to have as a spare. How much???

1 - 11 of 11 Posts