Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Deville / 1989 BMW 635csi
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about installing and msd ignition in my HT4100 to get a little more juice out of it. I drove my buddies 89 eldorado today and HOLY SHIT does it ever sqeal tires, regular 4.5. He payed 400$ cad for it with 96,000 miles on it. MINT!!! He just needed to change the igniton/steering column in it, it was busted. the power of that car makes me jelous! :tisk: So should i install an MSD ignition or what, has it been done?

·
Registered
1991 Deville / 1989 BMW 635csi
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I don't like my 4.1's acceleration, its kinda sluggish wen warm, have to replace my cat, it is clogged and rattling. My car sounds powerful, but isn't powerful, well kinda. Or i'm just imagining things, haven't driven my caddy in a year.

·
Registered
510 Posts
The factory HEI will provide plenty of ignition for maximum power. Aftermarket ignitions will not give you any more power per se. The system only generates as much voltage as is required to jump the gap at the spark plug so "more voltage" does not make more power. Make sure the production system is operating correctly. Sounds like there are other things to fix and spend money on before you start changing ignition systems......

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey man, the 4100 is just slow to begin with. Even when the rolled off the factory lines, they were slow. There's only so much you can do to the decrepid 4.1, and still wont get much out of it!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I added an Accel HEI coil/cap/rotor and module, along with some Iridium Denso plugs and Magnecore wires a few years ago. The parts still perform flawlessly and have certainly given it more "mmmph", as well as improved throttle response. If the ignition system is upgraded right (don't fall for the gimmic 'splitfire' wires or plugs, and other mass-market junk), the engine responsiveness and performance can really be improved. It's not going to be a 6-sec car, but it can certainly be on the order of a 12-sec car instead of 16-18 or worse. Also make sure the cat is changed for a large performance boost.

As long as the performance feels 'decent', it's good enough. They are definitely driveable cars when tuned up properly.

·
Registered
1980 FBC
3,198 Posts
DrDave said:
I added an Accel HEI coil/cap/rotor and module.... It's not going to be a 6-sec car, but it can certainly be on the order of a 12-sec car instead of 16-18 or worse. .
We are talking about an HT-4100 right? Are you referring to quarter mile times or how long the engine takes to start?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hahh.. We are talking 0-60 times. It has a 0.5-sec startup time, 1.0-sec cold start (also accomplished with the ignition setup) :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts