Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Cadillac deville sedan 1986 cadillac deville RIP
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying to check my pvc valve and the groumet that is on the other fell inside the block where the valve goes how do I get it out. Now I have this weird clicking noise when my car starts. Secondly does anyone trust those redid belt tensioners they sell or should I get a good used one. Also I think I had a spark plug go out on me I drove the car home. After changing my spark plugs does my engine need to be retimed or its good to go

·
Registered
'85 Fleetwood FWD
728 Posts
I replaced the belt tensioner on mine, with a new one from Advance Auto, for 40-some bucks, including the pulley. It seems to be a good one.
You PVC valve is in the rocker cover, isn't it ? The rocker cover should be fairly easy to remove to get the grommet out.
The ticking noise when you start the engine may be just a noisy lifter. Put half a pint of Marvel Mystery oil in with the engine oil. It's available all over, but less expensive at Walmart.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks was the tensioner a remade part or a orginal oem replacement . Autozonw and kragen wants 80 -140 for a non oem replacement according to them it fits but not like my orginal. How hard is it to change the spark plugs. I looked at my manual and it told me to release the tensioner and take off the bracket that holds the tensioner in place with the ps tank and take one bolt off the alt. Did you have to do the same thing.

·
Registered
'85 Fleetwood FWD
728 Posts
Mine must be laid out different. The spark plugs are hard to get at, but are accessable without removing anything. The tensioner was an after-market type, which bolted on with no problem You might try Advance Auto for a price on one.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I think you mis read what I wrote I was explaining how to take the rocker cover. What year is it. I believe yours is a transverse engine too. The spark plugs aren't hard to get to when you changed your did you pull the cable right off or you had to turn it half way then pull it. The manual specified I do that. Was one of you plugs dead when you changed them or was it preventive maintenice. I'm in san diego and a there is no advance auto near here but I looked t autozone ,kragen and they look the same as the ones you suggested.

·
Registered
'85 Fleetwood FWD
728 Posts
Plug wire boots can be difficult alright. Twisting them back & forth gets them broke loose. The main thing is not to pull on the wire itself. There are tools available to reach under the plug wire boots to pull them off. Yes, mine is also transverse mounted.

Advance Auto is online also, and will ship parts .

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply , I'm going to try some junkyards for a used one and I was hearing that they can be universal for all caddis 85-89 fwd (4.1/4.5/4.9). Do you know if this is true

·
Registered
'85 Fleetwood FWD
728 Posts
The salvage yards sometimes have a Hollanders Manual, which lists parts that will fit various years. You could ask about that when you look for a part.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok thanks ill try that .when you changed your plugs did you have you engine retimed or you just plugged the spark plugs in and you where good to go. I noticed last time I drove it , it was idling low at stop signs and such. The engine sounded quiet but I didn't notice any acceleration problems .

·
Registered
'85 Fleetwood FWD
728 Posts
Changing plugs has nothing to do with ignition timing. It's just another thing worth checking when it comes to gas mileage and performance. I set my timing by the way it runs, and not by the manual. (old habits are hard to break):rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks so I should be good with just changing the spark plugs if one died on me and I was running on seven cylinders I.e. sparkplugs. When I discovered that was the issue I drove it home. But I've started a couple times since then because I been trouble shooting the tensioner issue. By the way thanks a million your a great help.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was reading that cadillac with systems the alternator tends to wine or sweak , you my alterantor could at fault for the sweak I just got it rebuilt 2 months ago.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm still having problems I'm trying to avoid taking it to the shop. What else can I check that affects engine performance. Last time I drove it seemed to idling low like the engine didn't sound the same. I'm gonna change out the spark plugs and see if that helps. What else can trigger a service soon telelight

·
Registered
'85 Fleetwood FWD
728 Posts
If the engine is running OK, like smooth etc, a low idle speed may be the ignition timing is a bit late.
The service engine light can be a number of different problems.. Have you checked for fault codes? Do you understand how to get them?? If not, with ignition on, engine not running, hold the "off" and "warmer" buttons in until all the displays are lit. After they are all lit, let up on the buttons. It will go thru a segment check ( the read-out) and then display trouble codes, with an E prefix, and after they are finished, an F suffix series of codes. When all those are finished, a 7.0 will light, for further diagnostics. To exit the operation, press "auto", or turn ignition off.

If you do this, have a note pad handy to write the codes down, and get back here where folks can help you.

I probably should have referred you to the "sticky" on the thread page, for 4.x diagostics !!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know about the codes , however. I noticed it was idling low when it cut off on me at the gas station and when I parked it after 30 min of getting to my destation I noticed white smoke from the spark plug manifold area which came out to be old grease or something that had collected on the side of the valve cover. I won't be able to post the codes. Due to the fact I think I blew out my battery . I tried to start it cuz the car has been sitting for a week and I haven't started it. I turned the key nothing but lights so I plugged the jumper up to it couple hard starts then I heard a pop then saw white smoke. I think I blew a cell in my battery so I attempted to charge the battery the car started fine. But two days later the battery voltage dropped from 12 to 10 and I haven't done nothin but open the door here and there which led me to belive the battery is dead. Ill take a look at the sticky

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another thing is I can't get those spark plug cables off. In the service manual it says turn 1/2 and pull but it doesn't say which way and is it the opposite to put them on.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,551 Posts
It does not matter which way. The only reason for turning them is to break any seal that may have formed over the years and may be holding them in place. Kind of like removing a heater hose. No need to twist them on the install.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
So any direction will work, iwas also told u push in and turn or just turn it. I got some stuff I was supposed to put on the new plugs do I put that on the new plug or inside the hose. So any 10/16 socket should take the plug off right . I was told that a special tool was needed to take them off.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got the battery. Tested and autozone said its fine

·
Registered
'85 Fleetwood FWD
728 Posts
The spark plug wires just push on, and pull off. The problem is that when pulling them off, you have to get that boot loose ( the end rubber piece) before pulling them off, so as not to damage the wire and sleeve which snaps on the tip of the spark plug. A bit of silicone grease, which is likely the stuff you just got, in the boot, after it's off the plug, will help get them off in the future.

There is no "special" tool to get them off, although tool companies, like Snap-On have a tool to reach under the boot to pull it off. It doesn't work for all engines, because of the way some plugs are located down in the head.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts