Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Fleetwood Brogham RWD
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just repalced all the belts on my 1985 FWB what a mission:thepan:
Now she has been stuttering a little and some times she even back fires:confused: the only thing I did differant was correctly install a belt that goes from the crank pulley to the air/smog pump pulley and fan pulley.

When I bought her she had a belt that bypassed the air/smog pump pulley and only wrapped around the fan and crank pulleys (dont ask me how the previose owner did that one). Besides a leaky power stearring pump and an odometer that has flipped twice over the engine ran great. now comes the stutter and ocasional back fire

Any one have any ideas why this is happening?

here is a stock picture of A HT4100 and how the belts should be routed

·
Registered
1996 DeVille, 1985 Brougham SAGE GREEN!
2,750 Posts
See sig.

I honestly dont know. Mad respect for the HT4100.

Captain Morgan.

Im looking at boobs now. omg. Life is good.

·
Registered
'87 SDV
1,296 Posts
Try disconnecting the A.I.R. pump and seeing if it runs better. It could be either the pump itself or more likely the valve that diverts air to the cat, air cleaner, or atmosphere.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont care what they say about you Jonas, your the man:thumbsup:
I disconected the hoses that led to the filter pan and so far so good:rock: now for some smilie war:gungrin:

:gun:
:brutal:​
:blasted:​

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
she is still backfiring, but I have bigger problems! Some wanna be thug backed his uncle's Dodge Ram in to my driverside front fender and then tryed to whip. Im gonna post the story up.

·
Registered
1999 Deville, 1987 Eldorado
109 Posts
Went through the same problem on two 4.9's. After much time and money the problem was a worn distributor gear. Have your mechanic put it on a scope and the inconsistent firing will show up. The on-board diagnostic codes showed nothing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts