Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1983 Deville
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been able to regularly start my engine ever since I got about a year ago, but just recently I had to get my smog pump and alternator belt replaced. Since then, I took my car on one trip to the bank and it has not been able to start after that. At first my engine would crank, but at this point it cranks once and then stops. Checked the battery and it's fine. Is it possible that replacing that smog pump could've caused something else to fail? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
10,039 Posts
I would guess that your belt on the alternator is not tight, causing your battery to be not charged, which results in the no crank. Tighten alt belt, charge battery. Battery may read ok, but still be bad or discharged. It needs to be load tested.

·
Registered
1985 Sedan DeVille
1,883 Posts
Does it make any noise? Fast clicking? Clunk?

·
Registered
1983 Deville
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The belt should be tight, I can't imagine the guys at the garage put it on loosely. and as far as noise, there isn't much happening other than it cranking once and then nothing.

·
Registered
1983 Deville
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now that I go back and look at it again, it looks the the problem might be with the battery after all. I hooked my starter kit up to the battery and it started turning over for the first time since I had it worked on. I'm going to let it charge and see what happens

1 - 5 of 5 Posts