Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get away from the HID DS1 bulbs. i have replace my HIDs in my motorcycle with H4 HPLEDs and also in my Jeep, but not in the Cadillac. The dealer has no input, can find only low beam units online. the HID is low and hi beam. Looking for an High Performance LED bulb that cools well, and is plug and play in the caddy with no problem with existing electronics i.e. no warning lights etc. The ones in the bike are 5000 low and 10000 high lumens at 76 watts each. Work well but are not made for the cadillac.
Anyone do an upgrade. Did you have to go with a solenoid to the battery, any problem with fuses or wiring being too small for higher wattage than 35 watts the HID bulb uses. Did you have any heat problem, one aftermarket one got very hot. i have had no heat problems on the bike. Been on for 3 years.

I would appreciate it. VegasDTS

·
2006 DTS perf
2006 DTS Performance Lux III
1,852 Posts
The HID bulb doesn't get brighter when the high beam is on. There is a shudder in the assembly that opens and closes allowing more light through the projector lens. I haven't heard of anyone changing the hids to led. But it's doable. Stay away from the cheap junk on ebay and amazon. You want a quality led that will last.

·
Registered
2007 DTS
169 Posts
I did an LED retrofit on a customer's car a few months ago and it's been working great, he got tired of replacing bulbs and ballasts, his car kept having issues every 3 months or so even with different headlight housings. Contrary to what I was told, the LEDs are noticably brighter than the 6000k HID's in my DTS, I had both cars there so I was able to compare side-by-side. here's the writeup I did for a facebook group back when I did the install, it's surprisingly simple and totally removes the ballast from the system, it's only a block-off plate afterwards. High beams still work and no errors at all

facebook post said:
"Use these exact LEDs, others will require you to keep using the ballast, which to me defeats the point of doing this conversion in the first place. installed this way, your ballast can be totally corroded or filled with water without affecting operation

Throw out the silver braided cable for the factory bulb & cut the other connector off going to the ballast, then connect the 2 black wires to each other. Next, connect the red wire from the LED's to the yellow ballast wire, and the black wire from the LED's to the other 2 black wires from the ballast connector. Route your wires and find a spot inside the headlight housing for the resistor and you're done! Just reinstall the lights.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did an LED retrofit on a customer's car a few months ago and it's been working great, he got tired of replacing bulbs and ballasts, his car kept having issues every 3 months or so even with different headlight housings. Contrary to what I was told, the LEDs are noticably brighter than the 6000k HID's in my DTS, I had both cars there so I was able to compare side-by-side. here's the writeup I did for a facebook group back when I did the install, it's surprisingly simple and totally removes the ballast from the system, it's only a block-off plate afterwards. High beams still work and no errors at all
on the amazon site, it does not say that it does low beam and hi beam. I have H4s on my bike and it does 5000 lo and 1000 high. Does this give you low and hi beam at the same time or just low or just high. Some LEDs for DS1 replacement show only low beam, not both.
vegasdts

·
2006 DTS perf
2006 DTS Performance Lux III
1,852 Posts
on the amazon site, it does not say that it does low beam and hi beam. I have H4s on my bike and it does 5000 lo and 1000 high. Does this give you low and hi beam at the same time or just low or just high. Some LEDs for DS1 replacement show only low beam, not both.
vegasdts
The light intensity doesn't change. There a flap that opens when high beam is on and it closes when in low beam.

·
Registered
2007 DTS
169 Posts
vegasdts
these cars use one bulb for both high and low beams and a blocking shutter behind the lens that blocks part of the high beam off to create the low beam, the step where you connect the black wires together from the ballast connector is what retains this function when deleting ballast

1 - 6 of 6 Posts