Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
'06STSV(sold), '13 SHO
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some baseline guidance from you V folks.

HP Tuner lands today. once I have serial # I hope to his the HPTuner sight and see what they have for "stock tune" in the archives and download that, then pull the current tune from the car, My gut is telling me that it has already been "massaged" by the PO..

I have two tunes in mind, for those familiar with modern R&B I want a lady on the street and a freak in the sheets! Drive mode I want to make focused on economy and relaxed drivability, this is a car my wife will drive occaisionally and in our wet rainy weather. I had engine hot last week, put car in limp mode and the way it ran power curve wise was about perfect.. Sport mode I want to be the balls out, tighten your seatbelt and hold on tune..

Are there any baseline numbers or things I should do for a 1st tweak to get the drive economy mode started? I see comments about trans being a huge helpfull change, but not a ton of detail on what people have done, some say adjust line press, some say never touch it... the HP Tuners sight it is hard to search for our cars as they have 4char limit in searches and people often do "sts V" so they will not come up. Plus imuch of the info is 3+yrs old..

Anyone on here willing to share what they found helpfull? I know I have an odd shuffle shift that pops up, I think usually 3-4, but noticed it in other shifts too depending on car temp.. I don't need "harder" shift, but smoother and more conviction to the shift would be nice. PICK A GEAR MAN! :rant2::bouncy:

·
Registered
2008 STS-V
338 Posts
I've found that not much info has been shared on this site. I created this same post when I got EFI Live and it didn't turn up much. I found most of my information for trans tuning on the G8 forum. After retuning MAF and VE curve (force OL, target 1L, monitor with wideband on a dyno, multiply tables by the difference), and playing with TM, the car is much more exciting than stock. I can share some numbers with what I came up with if it will help, the efi/hpt tables are all pretty much the same.

·
Registered
06' STS V
491 Posts
I have two tunes in mind, for those familiar with modern R&B I want a lady on the street and a freak in the sheets! Drive mode I want to make focused on economy and relaxed drivability, this is a car my wife will drive occaisionally and in our wet rainy weather. I had engine hot last week, put car in limp mode and the way it ran power curve wise was about perfect.. Sport mode I want to be the balls out, tighten your seatbelt and hold on tune..
I'm pretty sure the factory trans tune for drive is set up for economy and drivability ....and sport is just more aggressive....
I was just gonna have the sport tune set for drive and have another one for sport that was way more aggressive like you want..;)

·
Registered
'06STSV(sold), '13 SHO
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Timmy C sells tunes for a baseline to work from dependent upon mods for like $50.
I will have to keep that in mind!! I have the stock tune archived and another member has shared his tune with the major trans tuning done. I am going to copy the trans data to stock engine tune and burn in tonight then see how it goes the next few days.

I'm pretty sure the factory trans tune for drive is set up for economy and drivability ....and sport is just more aggressive....
I was just gonna have the sport tune set for drive and have another one for sport that was way more aggressive like you want..;)
Yeah I know when out of limp mode and in normal drive mode with wet roads she is a handful if you are not gentle on the pedal. My wife been driving a Prius for work so I know she will probably pop the throttle a bit just from sheer muscle memory and being used to driving a 4 cylinder. Even my 95 mustang is not throttle sensitive like the V (what makes the V so enjoyable for me to drive) and I just want to make the baseline tune a bit more forgiving for daily use for her. The Limp mode last week just seemed to be exactly what I was looking for. She is already giving me grief about not having driven the V yet, so I need to figure something out! :histeric:

·
Registered
'06STSV(sold), '13 SHO
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hrmmm.. So gauge was still above 3/4 tank mark, but I filled up the tank anyway but at a different station. Took 6.45gallons, but car said it only used 5.5?? My gut is telling me the station tonight overfilled a good bit. So either 14.5MPG or 16.4 and that was babying the car and a 60highway/40city commute..

Time for tranny tune as that mileage is just terrible.

·
Registered
06' STS V
491 Posts
Hmmmmm..
Look at the trans tunes and see which one is used for limp mode and use that one??

·
Registered
'06STSV(sold), '13 SHO
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I am going to go the firm up the trans route 1st and see what happens.

Only did a quick round the block, but feels much more firm and positive shifting.

·
Registered
'06STSV(sold), '13 SHO
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So just some clarification as I am not seeing it show me this option..

For the STSV is there a difference in ENGINE tune on normals vs Sport mode or is it just a change in trans tune? I was hoping to have engine and trans more mellow in normal mode and wound up in sport mode, but I am not seeing anything on the engine side to differentiate between normal or sport modes.

·
Registered
2013 OBM CTS-V Coupe
2,664 Posts
All you can do is change the shift characteristics of Sport mode. To my knowledge you can't make a mild to wild change in the tune as there is no way to make a dual tune to is triggered by changing the shifter mode. Tim would be the expert here as I have mine basically in sport mode all the time.

·
Registered
06' STS V
491 Posts
All you can do is change the shift characteristics of Sport mode. To my knowledge you can't make a mild to wild change in the tune as there is no way to make a dual tune to is triggered by changing the shifter mode. Tim would be the expert here as I have mine basically in sport mode all the time.
Well that dosent sound right, the factory tune is 2 different modes or what is the point of sport??

·
Registered
2013 OBM CTS-V Coupe
2,664 Posts
I don't see 2 different places to change settings. I only one set of tables. As I said Tim would be the expert here.

·
Registered
2006 STS-V and 2007 STS-V The Murdalac
1,905 Posts
Just the transmission changes in Sport mode. There is a different table for throttle pedal versus actual throttle position in Sport, but that's it.

·
Registered
2006 STS-V and 2007 STS-V The Murdalac
1,905 Posts
They both change. The throttle map is the only thing on the engine that changes in sport mode. There are many, many things that you can change in the transmission for sport mode.

·
Registered
06' STS V
491 Posts
They both change. The throttle map is the only thing on the engine that changes in sport mode. There are many, many things that you can change in the transmission for sport mode.
Oh ok....so you can have two different trans tunes for mild and wild.

·
Registered
'06STSV(sold), '13 SHO
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well maybe I can use that to do what I want in terms of "detuning" the car in normal mode. Just simply limit the throttle map in normal mode. So in Normal drive more WOT from pedal is only say 3/4 throttle or something less than max throttle... Pretty simple way to do it actually and I am just looking to make the car more forgiving in normal mode for the wife and our wet weather. hrmmm.

Thanks TimmyC AND everyone else!!

·
Registered
06' STS V
491 Posts
Well maybe I can use that to do what I want in terms of "detuning" the car in normal mode. Just simply limit the throttle map in normal mode. So in Normal drive more WOT from pedal is only say 3/4 throttle or something less than max throttle... Pretty simple way to do it actually and I am just looking to make the car more forgiving in normal mode for the wife and our wet weather. hrmmm.

Thanks TimmyC AND everyone else!!
Hmmmm...thats a good idea, a overly protective nanny system for the ladies...;)

·
Registered
'06STSV(sold), '13 SHO
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Now now.. I just know how she drives and what she drives daily for work and is used to (prius). Pedal a V like you have to a Prius to get it to move and you will be in oncoming traffic before you can blink an eye. Should save on fuel too, and sport mode is always there waiting to play like the devil on your shoulder....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts